Chapter 34 | Treason

"What the hell?" I yelled as I saw the fighter jet crash into the ground, followed by a huge explosion. I saw as two fighter jets took the lead and pounded the defense mechanisms with artillery. "WE ARE GOING TO LAND SOON." Montwik shouted over the noise of the ongoing battle. "GET YOUR WEAPONS READY!" He continued. All of us took the safeties off and got ready for landing. The fighter jets managed to take down most of the secondary defense mechanisms and were now working on the back ups. We didn't have any more casualties till we landed.

**
There was an army of a hundred soldiers or so waiting for us in the landing pad with their guns aimed at us. There were about the same number of soldiers on our side. "Drop your weapons or face serious consequences." Montwik warned them, aiming his weapon at a particular soldier, who seemed to be in charge here in the absence of Schrotanic , who was still rotting away back at the base. "Where is Schrotanic?" The man who seemed to be the leader asked Montwik. "He's with us, Malsher. You need not do this. Drop your weapons and surrender. You will not be harmed." Montwik warned them again. I looked around the faces of the soldiers, but I couldn't find Bolius nor Jack anywhere. Each and every soldier standing here looked determined to fight and showed no signs of doubt in that fact. Then, I realised that these soldiers could never support us. These were the people against whom we hand to fight with to take over this base. "I'm warning you for the last time, Malsher. Stand down and you will not be harmed." Montwik said. "YOU TRAITER!" Malsher yelled, with spit flying out of his mouth. "YOU GODDAMN TRAITER! You support these tiny pieces of shit? These inferior species who just destroyed their own planet 'accidentally' and are in search for a new planet to destroy?" He continued. "THAT'S ENOUGH." Reneesh yelled. "Reneesh, don't involve in this." I ordered him. "Why? You think he's going to lose the argument?" Malsher asked, his eyes boring into mine. "We can sort all this out. I'm sure you will understand why we're doing this." Montwik said, in a calm tone. "Well, Montwik. I'm sure you will understand why we're doing this too." He replied, an evil smile spreading over his face. "Understand what?" Montwik asked, clearly surprised.

The first row of the army ducked suddenly and the second row fired the guns onto us. I ducked and ran to the other side of the battle. The soldiers on our side retaliated and started firing the weapons as well but we had too many casualties. The attack had taken us by surprise and as a result we lost many soldiers to their initial round of fire.

I shot my weapon at a few soldiers of which some fell to the ground. Suddenly, a soldier came out of nowhere and grabbed my weapon. We struggled and he finally managed to pin to the ground. He put his foot on my neck and pressed it hard. I couldn't breath and started coughing. I almost blacked out when I saw Reneesh rushing towards me and I saw him knocking the soldier off his feet with his gun and helped me get on my feet. "Thanks." I told him. "You owe me one." He replied, grinning and ran off leaving me alone. I made my way through the crowd, injuring Malsher's men. It took a lot more time to injure people than to kill them. I could see that our soldiers were obeying the orders that there must be minimal casualties.

Suddenly, everybody froze. Our soldiers slowly dropped their weapons. I turned around to find Malsher pointing a gun at Montwik's head. "PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. EVERYONE OF YOU." he screamed. I followed his order and put my gun on the ground and one of Malsher's men kicked it away from my reach. Malsher's men did the same to the rest of us and we were huddled into a circle with them surrounding us. "I'm too important for you to kill me." Montwik said to Malsher, gritting his teeth. "I absolutely DON'T CARE!" Malsher replied. "You don't have the guts to kill me." Montwik said to Malsher again. "Montwik has a death wish." Reneesh, who was next to me, muttered. "I will not hesitate to kill you, you traiter. You will pay for what you've done." He replied.

We had grossly underestimated the skills and the number of the resistance fighters in this base. It was obvious that we had lost. All the communication services all around the planet were shut down and that meant that there was no way we could get the word out. "I want the communication systems back up." Malsher said. "There's no way we can remotely do it." Montwik replied. "I want it back up." Malsher repested. "THERE'S NO WAY WE CAN DO THAT!" Montwik yelled back. "I am going to count from twenty. I want the process of the bringing online the Com Systems before I hit zero." Malsher said. "Malsher, please think about it. There's no way we can bring it back from here." Montwik replied, exasperated.

"Twenty. Nineteen. Eighteen. Seventeen..."

"Stop it, Malsher." I said. "You know Montwik's right. Let him go and we can sit down and discuss this."

"Sit down and discuss?" Malsher asked, faking a laugh. "What are we? A group of diplomats discussing on how to save the world? You and your crew are amongst a group of traiters. And the punishment here for revolting against the kenjah is death. Five.. Four... Three.."

"STOP!" I Yelled.

"Missed us, Malsher?" I voice asked from behind us. Malsher's men, who were surrounding us, were taken by surprise and moved out of the formation. I saw Bolius, along with almost three hundred fully armed soldiers pointing their weapons at Malsher and his men. "Bolius, what are you doing?" Malsher asked him. "Doing the right thing." He replied. "Drop your weapons, Malsher. You know you're outnumbered." He said.

I observed that Malsher's grip on his weapon loosened. He was distracted. This was our opportunity. In a flash second, I was on my feet running towards Malsher. He pointed his weapon at. I was then on him but he managed to fire his weapon and pain exploded in my left shoulder. Trying my best to ignore the pain, I pinned him to the ground and grabbed his weapon and threw it far away. Bolius's men seized the chance and advanced to deal with Malsher's men. Malsher was still struggling to break free but I managed to grab hold of a weapon lying around and pressed it on his head. "You bloody piece of shit. You think you can stop us?" He said, gritting his teeth. "You are a failed civilisation. You have no morals, no ethics. Your civilisation deserves to die. I'm telling it again, YOUR CIVILISATION IS A FAILED CIVILISATION WHICH DOESN'T DESERVE TO CONTINUE!" He yelled. "You know something?" I replied. "It probably isn't a wonder that our civilisation is a failed civilisation considering who CREATED us." I said, putting all the sarcasm I could into that one sentence. And with that, I slammed the butt of the weapon into his face, which was followed by blood running down from his nose.

****
Sorry for the late updates!
Anyways, I hope you enjoy it. Let me know your suggestions!
And, DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!
#MissionOrion
#PeaceOut
-Rithvik/LPS21.