Chapter 58

Just as I was about to turn back, a bullet struck the ground a few feet away from where I was. The sound of gunshots filled the air as chaos broke out on the ground. "SNIPERS! THEY ARE SNIPERS! TAKE COVER NOW!" Montwik yelled as we ran back towards the entrance of the tunnel. "I can hear activity down from the tunnel. There are men coming from it." Holder said. Suddenly, a bullet finds its' way through the head of the soldier standing right next to me, who collapsed to the ground. "RUN BACK TO THE WALL. RUN! RUN!" Montwik yelled, as we ran helter skelter towards the perimeter wall. The bullets seemed to be coming from one of the towers on the other end, which meant the wall would provide us some protection against the snipers. Meanwhile, people were dropping dead rapidly, but fortunately, we were not far away from the wall. I saw helplessly as Reneesh got shot on his shoulder, and we had to pick him up and drag him towards the wall.

"This is Alpha 1012 to base. Our rescue plane has crashed. We are receiving heavy fire. We need to get out of here, NOW!"

"This is base to Alpha 1012, Roger that. One of the Flying Warriors plane will pick you up. I will patch you over shortly."

***

We made our way to the wall and were standing right underneath it. The shots seemed to stop for now, but if Holder was correct, we still had the threat from the tunnels to deal with. Our fears were right, Profus knew about what we were planning and knew exactly where we were heading.

***

"This is FW 7 to Alpha 1012. Do you copy?"

"This is Alpha 1012 to FW 7, we copy. Go ahead."

"Our ETA is two minutes twenty seconds. Same pick up point. Please stay advised, we will not wait. Black Storm is onto us."

"We copy FW7. We will be there."

"Also, stay advised, there is a lot of action heading your way. Stay away from the walls. Over and out."

"Roger that, over and out."

***

"Get away from the walls? We go out there are we are dead." Reneesh said. His shoulder was bleeding quite heavily and needed immediate medical assistance. "Call the sniper again. We need her help." Montwik said. The sniper was called and she made her way near us. I looked around and saw that there were a little more than a dozen of us left. "Can you climb this wall?" Montwik asked. As per what Montwik told us, there was no way we could get to the top of the walls as the top part of the wall was electrified, but now, after the attack, the electricity supply to the wall had been cut off, which we made sure after testing it. She looked up and nodded her head. "I'm pretty sure the snipers are still on that tower. Try taking them all out." Montwik ordered and she nodded her head again. Someone brought the rope and in a couple of seconds, the sniper was on her way to the top of the wall. Once again, the sound of shots being fired filled the air and our sniper managed to take down most of their snipers, which was confirmed by the fact that the number of shots being fired now from the tower was very less. "There's just one left." our sniper yelled from above. We looked up, shielding our eyes from the sun. We heard two shots being fired and our sniper looked down smiling as she threw her hands into the air in victory. She threw her gun down and looked at the towers one last time as a bullet slammed into her jaw from below.

She came crashing down from the top of the wall, her body motionless. She lay on the ground, struggling to keep her eyes open. Her face was covered with streaks of blood. "The snipers are go-gone... Someone fi-fired fr-from below. You sa-safe.." She struggled to say, blood gushing into her mouth. She made some gurgling sounds as she tried to speak, but the bullet had caused too much damage. After a few seconds, her body fell slack and Montwik closed her eyes. "We have to go." Holder said. Suddenly, a group of planes with black livery flew past us. "We need to get out of here." Montwik shouted over the sound of the jets.

"This is FW 7 to Alpha 1012, we are twenty seconds out. You will see us anytime now."

"Roger that."

***

Just then, the sound of a huge explosion filled the air and I saw cracks rapidly spreading through the wall behind us. "MOVE MOVE MOVE!" I yelled as we ran towards our pick up spot. Just as we passed the tunnel, two men with the Kenjah's army outfit jumped out of the tunnel, and before any of us could react shot Emanta twice in the stomach. "EMANTA!" I yelled as I raised my gun and shot one of them. Reneesh, even with his injured shoulder, tried to take down the other soldier. More men started to climb out of the tunnel. I saw as Montwik ran to the edge of the tunnel and he threw a grenade into the entrance. There was a huge explosion from the tunnel and there was fire from the entrance of the tunnel. I ran towards Emanta, who was lying on the ground. "You're going to be alright." I said as I looked at her wounds, kneeling down right beside her. Montwik too made his way towards Emanta. All of us had our bullet proof vests on, but whatever bullets the Kenjah was using made their way right through the vests. "The jet is almost here, we will get you to the medic bay. You're going to be alright." He said. But we knew better. There was a very minute chance she could make it. I saw as jets with white livery zoom past us- it was the Flying Warriors. The aerial war had resumed and this time it was the best of the two sides against each other.

The aerial fight wasn't anything like the one we had witnessed before. It was utter destruction. Missiles flew, bullets dug through the walls and fire billowed out of the crash planes.

"FW7 to Alpha 1012, we are five seconds out and we see you."
"We see you too FW7."
***
We saw as a Flying Warriors plane swooped down from the sky and hovered a few feet about the ground. The door opened and we rushed towards the jet.  There were only ten of us left and we collapsed to the ground as soon as we entered the jet.

The jet lifted itself into the sky and we were soon on our way away from the planet towards the base, Beta Two. I looked around the jet to find and suddenly stood still in my tracks. I saw Jack staring right at me, his eyes red with anger. And over that, he had the same madness in his eyes I saw in Leo's.

_________
Thanks for reading the story!
VOTE IF YOU LIKE IT!
-Rithvik