Chapter Twenty: PIRINCE JAMES

"I want every nearby beach checked. There needs to be men in the sky, in the water, on land." I snapped at the small group of commanders I had assembled. "I want her found. Today. Return with results, or don't return at all."

         I watched at they made a scattered exit, leaving me with only Drake. He stood silently, watching me.

         "Speak." I growl at him. "I know you have something to say." I rubbed a hand down my face. "You always have something to say."

         He stared at me silently, then stepped forward to join me at the table. He lifted his hand and removed his swords, laying them before me. Then he stepped back to speak to me as a friend. "She is strong." He said finally.

         I huff out a breath. "I know that. She succeeded in the Trial of Strength."

         "I was not speaking about her physical strength." He relied.

         I glanced up at him. He stood still, hands folded. Ever the patient soldier. "Neither was I."

         He tilted his head at me. "She has not yet passed all of the Trials."

        "I know."

        "Your advisors want peace with the Barsite."

        "I know."

        "The barbarian contestant is also an Avita."

         "I know." I snapped.

         "She is said to be the lost Life."

          I wince involuntarily. "I know."

          "Katirina can never me yours."

           I slam my hand against the wooden table. "I know." I sighed. "I know." I repeated. "The rot has been slowed, but soon it will overtake the planets core. I need the Division to be completed. I need to be awakened. And I also need to push the barbarians out of my quarter of the universe. These are all very relevant facts. Yet my mind is on the one contestant that doesn't want anything to do with me." I ran a shaking hand through my hair. "Hell. She even had the nerve to smile at me before she took that nose dive."

           "She has courage." Drake responses.

           "Too damn much if you ask me." I snapped.

            "I wasn't." He replied. I scowled at him. He shrugged. "Worth. Strength. And Courage. She has passed now three of your Trials. You have the right to want her."

             "I do not want her." I snarl. He huffed in disagreement. My scowl got darker. "I said I could not stop thinking about her, not that I wanted her. Like you said, she can never be mine. So why bother lusting after her."

              "Worrying shows there is more than lust." Drake mutters to me. "Did you ever learn why she jumped?"

              I glare at him. "No." I brush past him to the door, I open it to speak to the guard outside. "Fetch contestant number three, Miss Addrianna, for me." He nodded and walked away. When I turned back to Drake, his swords had been returned to their place at his back, and he stood waiting for a command. "Have the guard also search the near by cities and villages. When she does come onto land, I want you to detain her, and bring her to me."

              I could tell by the look in his eyes that he had more to say, but he remained silent. "That is all." I finally say, and dismiss my friend with a wave of my hand.

              When he leaves. I am joined by my pretty distraction. And I will myself to forget about Katirina, even if it is just for a few moments.