Chapter Thirty-Three: KATIRINA

I was back in the garden. The Trial of Worth crystal was there, siting ominously in the center of the clearing. It was no longer clear, like I remember, it was now a murky black.

      I stepped closer, walking into the clearing. I wanted to go the opposite direction. I felt the darkness that was surrounding the sphere, and I wanted to run in the opposite direction. I needed to run in the opposite direction. But I couldn't. I walked on legs that refused to listen to my brain.

       I began to shake and scream now, as realization struck that I could not control what was about to happen.

       Then He appeared.

       The shadows clung to him as he stepped up to stand beside the sphere.

      "James!" I screamed at him. "James. Help me. James, please help me." I was screaming and crying now.

      But he did nothing. My Prince merely stood there. The man who had kissed me so passionately, stood there and stared at me with nothing but contempt in his eyes.

      I kept struggling as my legs drew closer to the sphere.

     "No!" I whimpered. "No. No. No. This is not right." I stared at James. His blue eyes were dull, void of the sparkle that I had grown so found of. "This is wrong." I screamed at him. "Make it stop. James, make it stop. Please, make it stop."

      "Place your hand on the sphere. We must see your worth." He says to me.

      "James." I whisper. "No. Please. Don't."

      My hand is snatched up, before I could attempt to flee. It is smack onto the surface of the sphere. And nothing happens.

      I stare up at James. His eyes were cruel and hard. "I knew you were not worth it." He snarled.

     "James." I whimper out, reaching out for him.

     He moves out of reach, like I am a disease. "You are worthless. We could never be together." He snarled. "I disserve better than dirt scum like you."

     I watch as Eva  appears at his side, grinning widely. Her teeth were sharpened into points like Inu's were. I stepped back. "James." I whimpered. "Please. I am not worthless. Please."

      But he wasn't listening. He had turned, and was facing the sharp toothed Eva. And when he pressed his lips to hers, I couldn't move.

      Then I was falling, and all I could see was Eva's body wrapped around his. Their lips moulded together.

~~~~~~~

    "NO." I gasped, sitting straight up in my bed. My chest was heaving, and my heart was pounding. I swung myself out of bed, unable to sit still. "Just a dream." I whispered to myself. "Just a dream. Wasn't real."

       I could hear pounding.

       Is that my heart beat?

      The pounding got louder, even after my breathing had calmed.

      Someone is at my door..

      I ran a hand over my face, before answering it. Clara stood on the other side.