Chapter Thirty-One: KATIRINA

He stood there staring at me. Just staring. His eyes watching mine closely. He wasn't even turned toward me. Only his head, tuned sideways to watch me. His blue eyes were hypnotising, and I could not move. I could barely breath. So I did the only thing I could.

        I watched him back.

        "What are you doing here?" He asked finally.

        I blinked slowly, as my mind caught up with the words he had just spoken. I looked away from him, and gestured at the garden around us. "Enjoying something beautiful."

         He hummed in the back of his throat. I glanced back at him. But he was looking at a potted plant. I took a step forward, "What are you doing here?" I asked.

         "Thinking." He said. his eyes were still trained upon the flower. It was a very small flower, siting in the big pot all alone.

        I took another step forward, and tilted my head, "About?"

        "The Dividing." He said.

        I blinked. And took a step back, as a brief feeling of betrayal washed over me. "I see." I stared at the plant he was watching. Then I straightened my shoulders, and glared at him. "Is the next trail going to involve more toxins or are you going to jump straight to poison this time?"

        His eyes snapped to mine, anger glowing in them. "I had nothing to do with that." He snapped.

       "I doubt that. No one can barely sneeze without your say so, Your Highness." I spat back at him.

       He was facing me now. "Don't be petty, Katirina." He took a step toward me. "They went around me. I had no choice."

       I took two steps forward. "You had a choice. Everyone has a choice." I snap. "Don't make excuses just because you made the wrong one."

       He took a step toward me again, we were now standing mere feet from one another. "No. I didn't have a choice. I have no time for choices anymore. I have no time to think about choices anymore. There is no time left."

       "No time left for what?" I ask, my voice rising. "That is not a reason, for your actions. Give me a reason, you owe me that much."

       He glared at me, "I owe you nothing." he snarled.

       "Give. Me. A. Reason." I snarl back.

       "Why wont you just back off, and do as you are told for once?" He yelled. His eyes were wide with a mixture of fury and panic.

       "GIVE ME A REASON TO, YOUR HIGHNESS!" I yelled back.

       "GALLIUM IS DYING!" He yelled back. Then he ran a hand over his face in exhaustion. "Gallium is dying, so there is no room for time or choices."

       James... my thoughts sighed, grieving with him.

        I took a step toward, "What do you mean?" I asked.

      He glanced at me. "I thought you of all people would feel it."

      I stared at him for a moment, then I closed my eyes and searched the energy around me. "I can't feel anything." I said.

      "Go deeper. Into the planet." He replied.

     So I did. I burrowed my way into the planet, I dug around, and searched for this 'death'. When I was about to retreat, I felt it. It left a nasty taste in my mouth, as I felt the energy of it. "What is it?" I asked, opening my eyes.