Chapter Twenty-Six: KATIRINA

Tonight was no different from the last. I spent the day telling myself not to do something, yet here I am. Standing outside the library doors, like I have every night for the past two weeks without fail. And for fourteen nights without fail, he is there, no doubt standing over yet another book or journal with that wrinkle between his brow.

         I raised my hand to open the door, but paused.

         What am I doing?... I ask myself.

         Fourteen nights..... I remind myself.... Fourteen......

         And in fourteen nights I have gained more control, than I have had in ten years. No longer did the energy overwhelm me when I allow it to surround me. No longer did I push it away. With his help, I now greet the energy like an old friend, and leave myself open to feel its friendly caress all the time rather than shutting it out.

        But I still can't help my stomach from flipping at the thought of him waiting in that room for me. I spend my days thinking of his blue eyes, and scolding myself for such thoughts. I over analyse the fact that he is helping me, when he doesn't seem to help the others.

       At least I don't think he does.

       And this analysis is exactly why I hesitate from entering. Who am I to think this way? I am a contestant is a challenge to see who will make the best partner for the Prince. I am punishing myself by allowing thoughts and feelings to manipulate me in such a way. He is a Prince, and I am a former slave. Thinking that I am going to win the contest is not a rational thought. Especially when I am competing against the beautiful Adrianna, the dangerous Inu, the loyal Hellena, and the mysterious Eva.

      I pull my hand away from the door handle, and held it to my chest.

     What am I doing?.... I ask myself again.

     I shock my head, then straightened my spine, and held my head up high.

     I am learning.....That is what I am doing.....

     So I entered the library once more, for now the fifteenth time.

     The Prince was not standing over a book as he usually is. Instead he is sitting in a chair, calmly staring at the table. He glanced up when I entered, but said nothing. His face was void of all emotion, even annoyance, which was a bit odd.

     When I reached the table he merely stared up at me.

     I sat down across from him, and all he did was watch me do so.

     After a few moments of silence, I leaned forward to speak, "What will you be having me do today, Your Highness?" When he said nothing I continued, "Locate the faint energy in the room, or use my own reserve and manipulate energy to your demands?"

     "I have noticed that you have become more impatient since you shed your slave band." He said.

     "It is not impatience. I dislike silence." I replied honestly.

     "Odd." He muttered to himself.

     I tilted my head at him. "I am confused as to what you expect of me."

     He folded his hands in front of him, "Do you know Contestant Number Eleven? Eva her name is?"

     My eyebrows drew together in confusion, "Not personally."

     "Impersonally then. Do you know what her abilities are?"

     "I do not."

     He leaned back in his chair. "She can suck away a persons energy and give it to another, though a touch of her hand. Sound familiar?"