Chapter Thirty-Four: KATIRINA

A real attack...

      This is really happening....

     This is not another toxin induced hallucination..........

     Barsite are attacking......

     They are coming here.....Most likely to kill me.. and force James to wed Eva.

     Eva who was standing in the middle of the room, laughing at the precautions that the guards were making. "That is not going to stop them." She laughed. "Nothing can stop them."

     Where is the man with two swords.... Where is Commander O'Neil should he not be here....

      "Quiet." James snapped at her. He turned to the group of court officials. "Get to safety." He ordered them. They nodded, and scurried out of the room.

      She laughed harder. "If this is really an attack. They will send out the Hounds first to kill all in their path." She laughed harder. "Then the air raids will begin. Fire will rain from the skies, and blood will pore across those coble stone streets."

       I watched at one of the guards stuck her, knocking her to the ground. "Don't." The Prince said, to stop them. "Don't give them any more reason to kill. She remains unharmed. That is an order."

       "Yes, Your Highness." They answer.

      Eva laughed more, rolling onto her back, and clutching her stomach.

       "Why are we not binding her?" I ask quietly.

      James glances down at me. "Because it will anger the Barsite to see one they consider their own bound and beaten."

      I nod in understanding, and watch as Eva laughs some more.

      The Castle shakes slightly as the Barsite attack. I could hear the distant explosions. Pushing my ability out into KingVillage, I could feel as the life energy of thousands bled from their bodies. I could feel strick, every explosion, every death. I could feel it run through my body, as the invincible hands of my ability drew the energy toward me, to protect it from further pain.

      "So much death." I murmur. "So much pain."

      "That's right." Eva announced. "And it could have all been avoided. Isn't that right, Your Highness."

      I stare up at him, as James glares at Eva. "If I could not be bullied into speeding up Dividing, how do you expect to force me into marriage?"

      She crackled, siting up to glare at him. "Because now we have leverage." She pointed a finger at him. "Holding your planet hostage is only a small portion." She tilted her head, and grinned. "How long before that 'Rot' reaches the core of your planet, I wonder."

      James started at her like a pouncing animal. I gripped his arms, pulling him back. "Do nothing you will live to regret." I mutter. I release him, when I feel him relax.

      "I should have known that the Barsite were behind the infection." He spat.

      "I should have killed her, when I had the chance." She spat back, pointing at me. "They wanted me to, but I didn't think she was a threat. How blind I was not to see you were falling in love with her." Eva drew up onto her knees. "A Prince falling for a slave. What a tragic love story the pair of you make." Then she was laughing again. "Does she even have any abilities? You never know with dirty blood like hers. They are capable of anything."

       "Enough." James, snaps at her. He rests a hand upon my arm, it was a small comfort.

       Eva was swaying now, with a crazed look in her eyes. "I say when enough is enough." She announces. She directs her gaze toward me. "How surprised I was to see you at the first Trial. Another Child of Avita." She laughed. "Did you think that meant we would have some sort of connection you and me. Because we were both sacrificed by our parents." She threw back her head and laughed. "We have no connection, you are a shiny piece of gutter trash, with eyes like mine. Nothing more."