PROLOGUE

"Kamar-Taj?"

"Kamar-Taj?"

The word almost burned into his mind. He had repeated the word so many times, it naturally rolled off his tongue. Of course, the people pointed the man in the correct direction, but Stephen quickly got lost after that, going for more help minutes later.

He repeated the word again, walking away after, not knowing he had caught the attention of two unknown people standing off to the side. The two figures cloaked in red and green robes slowly looked up at the slender retreating figure, beginning to follow him muted.

The wild-haired man continued on his path, down flights of stairs and stopping to ask others. After another hour of walking, he passed down an alley, losing his way once more.

Two men appeared in front of Strange, as one more followed closely behind. Stephen glanced over his shoulder before stopping, getting surrounded by the crooks. "Guys, I...I don't have any money."

"Your watch." One responded, eyeing the expensive accessory.

"No, please," He responded with a hoarse voice. "it's all I have left."

"Your watch." The man repeated, all of them moving in closer around him.

Stephen sighed before bowing his head. "Alright..."

Stephen threw a surprising punch to the man's face before immediately bending over, clutching his wounded hand and letting a cry of pain out.

The three threw him down, kicking him all over repeatedly. Once they thought it was enough, the man grabbed his wrist, slipping off the expensive watch. Turning to walk away, he was taken back by a hand grabbing him in the face and throwing him hard down to the ground.

The one in red stood to attack another while the one in green went for the last one. The one in red punched the man across the face before grabbing him and flipping him over their shoulder. The one in green bent over the man, striking him in the perfect spot on his back.

Strange slowly looked up, not knowing whether to be scared of them or to thank them. Both stood up, their hoods low on their faces. One of the men from the group ran off afraid, as the one in red walked around, bending down to grab Stephen's watch.

Extending their hand, they laid their palm flat, displaying the broken watch. Stephen, with his hair even more tasselled, hesitantly took it, looking up at the anonymous person. "Thank you, sir."

They both reached up, removing their hoods to reveal themselves. While the one in green was actually a man, the one in red was a woman, which threw Stephen off.

"I believe the correct word you're looking for, is ma'am." She looked at him with a smug smirk.

Stephen stared in awe, quickly noticing her one ocean blue eye and other forest green eye. He had never seen that before.

"You're looking for Kamar-Taj." The man in green stated, receiving a slow nod from the doctor. The nameless man and woman looked at one another, then at Stephen before walking away. He blinked before he quickly began to follow after.

They walked among the busy streets, leading Stephen to an ordinary-looking door.

"Really? Are you sure we're at the right place?" He asked with his gravelly voice, peering up at the building. Glancing over his shoulder, Stephen nodded at the door across the busy street. "That one looks more Kamary-Tajey."

He chuckled, only receiving tenuous smirks from them. 

"We once stood in your place." The man responded to his quip. "And we too, disrespectful. So might I offer you some advice?"

Stephen nodded.

"Forget everything you think you know."