TWELVE

The crowd of people screamed as the Ancient One's limp body crashed through a glass visor and onto the sidewalk

The crowd of people screamed as the Ancient One's limp body crashed through a glass visor and onto the sidewalk. Stephen, Mordo, and Amber appeared from the horde, shoving people out of the way. Stephen knelt beside her, examining her body quickly.

The three were soon in the hospital once again, Stephen solely running down the hallway with the Ancient One on a stretcher. "Christine!" Stephen shouted down the hallway, his hand gripping tightly on the railing.

Christine tipped her head back in annoyance, closing her eyes. "Are you kidding me?" Looking to see Stephen had an actual patient with him, her eyes widened. "Oh my god,"

"It's not fibrillation," he described as Christine and other nurses rolled her straight into an operating room. "She has a stunned myocardium."

"Neurogenic?"

"Yes."

Stephen relieved himself of the cloak, dressing in a blue operating gown and snapping on latex gloves. Picking up the scalpel, his hand still trembled. Tightening his grip around it, he looked up at his former colleague. "Nic?"

Nic adverted his gaze from the Ancient One, moving beside Stephen.

Stephen turned his hand, holding out the scalpel to him. "We need to relieve the pressure on her brain."

Nic looked taken back the offer before nodding and taking the blade from him. Suddenly, the monitor went flat sending everyone into a panic. Christine stepped away. "We're losing her!"

"We need to increase her oxygen." Stephen directed,  standing beside the bed.

"I need a crash cart!" Christine ordered, beginning CPR on her. Stephen observed her, noticing her dilated pupils. The screen beside them glitched, going unnoticed by everyone except him.

Stephen jerked back, his astral form detaching from his physical one. The Ancient One floated out the room, Stephen chasing after her.

"What are you doing? You're dying!"

They travelled until they were on the balcony, outside the cafeteria.

"You need to go back to your body, you don't have time," Stephen informed her, the two hovering outside as the world stood still.

"Time is relative. Your body hasn't even hit the floor yet. I've spent so many years peering through time, looking at this exact moment. But I can't see past it."

The two watched a helicopter in the air, it's blades barely moving. A string of lightning burst from the clouds in the distance, flowing outwards like little streams of water.