THREE

Countless days passed as Stephen learned more and more about the ancient arts of sorcery

Mordo, Wong, and Amber paced around the courtyard, watching new and experienced students train.

As the other students drew their transmutation circles in front of them, Stephen had no luck in producing one. But, his hope didn't falter by this.

After they were done, they were given a Sling Ring.

"Mastery of the Sling Ring is essential to the mystic arts. They allow us to travel throughout the Multiverse, all you need to do is focus. Visualize." Mordo clenched his fist.

"See the destination in your mind. Look beyond the world in front of you. Imagine every detail. The clearer the picture, the quicker and easier the gateway will come." He explained as the students created small portals in front of them.

Stephen failed to do so.

Stopping beside Stephen's side, Amber stared at the sparks that spewed in front of him, as the Ancient One and Master Hamir entered. Upon noticing them, she shook her head and moved away, "And stop."

Everyone's arms dropped to their side. Stephen grunted with a roll of his eyes, letting his arms go limp.

"I'd like a moment alone with Mister Strange." The Ancient One announced.

"Of course." Stephen sighed to himself.

Amber bowed before waving her hand in dismissal for the class. Once the courtyard was empty, Stephen shook his head. "My hands."

"It's not about your hands." She replied with a little shake of her head.

"How is this not about my hands?"

"Master Hamir," she indicated, allowing him to stand between them. 

Hamir pulled back his left sleeve to reveal a stump instead of a hand. Swirling his arms around, he formed a transmutation pattern in front of them, making the Ancient One's point clear.

"You cannot beat a river into submission. You have to surrender to it's current, and use its power as your own."

"I control it by surrendering? That doesn't make any sense." He questioned, squinting his eyes.

"Not everything does. Not everything has to. Your intellect has taken you far in life. But it will take you no further. Surrender, Stephen. Silence your ego," She said, holding her left hand up and forming a portal. "Then your power will rise. Come with me."

Upon entering, snow and gusts of chilling air whipped around them, throwing up loose ends of their robes. "Wait, is this—?"

"Everest." she finished.

"This is beautiful!" Stephen breathed in the air with a smile.

Ancient One nodded in agreement. "You're right."