TWO

"Open the door, please! Open the door!" Stephen begged desperately behind the door, the pounds of his fist against it still echoing

Amber stood in front of it, tempted to do so—only to let out a short breath and walk away, entering the room with Mordo and the Ancient One.

"You think I was wrong to cast him out?" the Ancient One asked, twisting the dials slowly to turn the globe above them.

"Five hours later and he's still at it your doorstep," Mordo commented with a smirk.

"I like Strange. His unceasing banging on the door," Amber let out a small chuckle. "It shows commitment."

Mordo and herself slowly paced around the Ancient One.

"There's a strength to him," Mordo added after her, glancing her way.

"Stubbornness, arrogance, admission. I've seen it all before." the Ancient One replied back, her voice dragging on.

"He reminds you of Kaecilius." Said Mordo.

"I cannot lead another gifted student into power, only to lose him to the dark."

"You didn't lose us," Mordo remarked shortly. "I wanted the power to defeat my enemies. You gave my power to defeat my demons, and to live within the natural law."

"We never lose our demons, Mordo," Amber stated, now standing still with her hands folded behind her back. "We only learn to live above them."

"Kaecilius still has the stolen pages. If he deciphers them, he will bring ruin upon us all." Mordo continued, approaching her with wide steps. "There may be dark days ahead, perhaps Kamar-Taj could use a man like Strange."

The Ancient One was quiet for a moment, before glancing over to Amber. "Show Mister Strange his room, please, Master Amber."

"Certainly." a faint smile grew of her lips as she made her way over to the door.

"Don't shut me out. Open the door." he whined with a strained voice, before a thump made her jump back. He sat down in front of the door, leaning against it.

Turning the knob and swinging the door open, Stephen fell backwards with a yelp, landing on his back. He stared up at Amber who looked back down at him, her brows perked.

"Thank you." he croaked out, making her let out a laugh before helping him to his feet.

"My pleasure," she responded, brushing the imaginary dust off his shoulder and leading him further into the place again. "Follow me, I'll lead you to your room."

Stephen looked around the room as Amber stood by the door. "Bathe. Rest. Meditate...if you can. It'll help you relax." She walked over, lighting a candle on the window sill. "The Ancient One will come for you soon. Oh, and here."

Stephen grabbed the slip of paper she held out to him, reading over the word. "What's this? My mantra?"

She paused in the doorway, turning around with an amused smile. "It's the wifi password. We're not savages."