FIFTEEN

Dawn was slowly coming in over the horizon, setting a warm tone on Kathmandu

The Doctor entered the library, moving towards the back to the room. Slowly walking around the display, Stephen reached for his necklace to put back on the stand, pausing after to look at his trembling hands.

With an almost angry shake of his shoulders, the cloak lifted off of them, floating towards the wall. "Yeah, okay." he mumbled to it, taking off the necklace. Placing it back to its original spot, Stephen let out a breath he didn't realize he was holding.

"Smart move," A soft voice commented, making Stephen look over to Amber strolling into the room, her lapis blue cloak still on her shoulders.

Stephen nodded, turning his body towards her, relaxing his shoulders. "We need to talk."

Amber pursed her lips, playing dumb. "I...don't think so, no."

"Why the sudden change in mood? One minute, we're a thing, and the next–"

"Look, Stephen, I've been in this position before," Stephen's face scrunched up, confused. "Back when we were in the hospital, I went to look for you to ask about the Ancient One."

Stephen suddenly realized what she was talking about, and let out another sigh.

"..and I saw you with Christine, and all I want to say is that if you still want to be with her, be with her! But, just don't leave me hanging on a rope here, Stephen! I don't want to be in the shadows about this."

"Amber, listen–"

Wong entered the room, clearing his throat loudly to disclose his presence. "Strange. You'll wear the eye of Agamotto once you've mastered its powers. Until then, best not to walk the streets wearing an Infinity Stone."

"A what?" Stephen replied, eyeing Wong as he moved to stand on the other side of him.

"You have a gift for the mystic arts, but you still have much to learn." Amber filled in, staring up at the globe, appearing as if the conversation between them never happened.

"Word of the Ancient One's death will spread through the Multiverse. The Earth has no Sorcerer Supreme to defend it. We must be ready." Wong said.

"We'll be ready." Stephen nodded confidently. Wong nodded back, turning the dial to open the door to the New York Sanctum.

He and Amber walked through, leaving Stephen behind. Stephen peered down at the Eye, moving his shoulders as the cloak returned to them before following after.

Stephen slowly climbed the stairs, not bothering to skip any. Amber waited by the window, hands laced behind her back, which were hidden behind her cloak.

Stephen fastened his watch on his left wrist, turning his hand to look at the smashed glass. He remembered when Christine gave him the watch for his birthday. He remembered wandering around Kathmandu and running into those thieves. He remembered Mordo and Amber swooping in and saving him. A smile almost made its way to Stephen's lips.

Both stood quietly, glancing at one another.

Amber walked up to Stephen, pressing a gentle kiss to his cheek before leaving the Sanctum for Stephen to be alone.