IV - HAZEL

Hazel’s Turn

Sorry for any mistakes.

In my dream, I was in the Underworld; in my opinion, I don’t like to go there at all. I was reliving what was happening to me while I was being judged to where I would go and stay and how I saved my mother from going to the Fields of Punishment by giving up my chance to go to the Elysium. It really is better to be in the Fields of Asphodel, as to where most people go that just lived and never really did anything heroic, because after my judgment, I could already hear the tortured screams of pain of those from the Fields of Punishment. At least, I saved my mother from going in there. And so, I just sat there in one of the seats in Asphodel, but this time, instead of me being alone, Nico was there. It has been only just a minute, he was supposed to come and bring me to life after 70 years. I was shocked when I heard him talk because he could almost pass as dead already.

“Hey Bi--, Hazel” Nico said. I decided not to dwell when he should've said Bianca. “I know that this isn’t the time that I came here, but I was the one who wanted to show you this, I thought you’d like to see someone” He said and smiled genuinely.

“And who’s that? I asked, but silently I knew who the person he is thinking of.

“You’ll see, let’s go” He said. And with that, we ran off into the Fields of Asphodel, but wait, what? Out of Asphodel, then who is it then?

“Nico, where are we going?” I asked, confused as to who that someone is.

“Come on, just follow me” He said reassuringly.

After that I just kept silent, until we were near Hades’ palace.

“What are we going to do there? I said. “And besides I can’t go pass the boundary line, I’m dead here remember?” I told him.

“You’ll pass off because this is only just a blackout dream and being Hades’ daughter can earn you points here, so just come on” He rushed. He was right, we did pass the boundary and so we entered Hades’ palace. They say it’s like the black version of Mt. Olympus in Greek, but seriously, I’m  Roman, or at least that’s where I went, in Camp Jupiter.

I saw two thrones in the throne room, I thought that there supposed to be three, well maybe Demeter is really just a guest here that neither Hades nor Demeter is happy about.

Nico led me to another room, this one is big and spacious but I can feel magic in the air, it must be some mist to veil something, I know how to us the mist but I don’t know if I can remove it, and I’m pretty sure I don’t want to know what it really is.

Nico brought out his stygian iron sword and looked like he was going to carve something on the floor but I thought he couldn’t carve on marble, but it didn’t really look like he was carving, it’s like he was only drawing, on where he pointed and touched the blade of his sword it made markings, later on I saw plane figures, some circles and points and stuff like those on the floor, after that, it looked like an abstract art, even though he was only doing that, I’m becoming nervous and afraid and I didn’t know if precious metals and gems would pop out here because I don’t know if I can do that even in  a dream, I hope not.

“Spirit of Marie Levesque, come” Nico said, and then he chanted some words in another language I don’t understand. Seconds later, where the abstract art was, I don’t know what else to call it, a ghost appeared, Nico chanted more and minutes later, she was visible, I looked at my own self, I was also like a ghost, like always when I black out. I looked back to the spirit and saw my mother, I was right, it was my mother Nico wanted to show me.

“Mom” I said, tears making its way to my eyes. But she didn’t say anything, she looked expressionless. That’s the time my tears flowed out. Nico soothed me by patting my back as I cried. It must’ve been all the tension that I was keeping inside because of everything that happened in my life, and this seeing my mom was the last thing that I needed to break down.

When I was finally done with my breakdown, Nico didn’t stop soothing me, saying calm words but it’s really hard to believe in them, maybe we should just stop this stupid this stupid quest, so what if everybody dies, who cares anyway? All the world did to me was bully me and hurt, who cares if they die? Even if we did continue this quest, what chance do we have of stopping Gaea, I mean even now, I am under her, in the Underworld, then if we die, everyone dies.

A thought then occurred to me, if we all die and everything is destroyed, even the Underworld, where would we all go? The idea gave me strength.

‘Hazel, don’t lose hope, Gaea is toying with your thoughts, focus and be strong, that was the Hazel I know, don’t be fooled now’

Who was that? I know that I wasn’t the one who thought of that. I had no idea but when I looked at my mother, before the Queen Marie, I saw her smiling.

“I wished that I helped you and not make everything worse and complicated” My mother said.

“Why didn’t you talk before?” I said.

“Gaea was preventing me talk to you because she was still fooling with your mind, but I knew that you need help and you should not give up so, even though it will tire and exhaust me so much, I finally sipped into your mind, because of that, you seemed to thwart her” She said with a smile.

“Nico, how come, she remembers everything about her past unlike the other ghosts who don’t remember anything?” I asked and when I looked at Nico, he was now sounding fast asleep.

“He is tired Hazel, the chanting was why I remember more because when I came here in the Underworld I only remember a few old memories and when Hades got me here as one of his servants, I remember more but it seems that your friend Nico here, got to pull out more of my memories that were hidden.” My mom said.

“Wait what? Hades got you here and made you one of his servants? But why?” I asked suddenly confused.

“Yes, he got me here and made me one of his servants, maybe because Persephone is still not here and you think, he still has his eyes on me?” My mom asked. After the entire dead serious subject, I laughed at that one.

“Maybe and mom, Nico isn’t only my friend, he’s also my half-brother” I said.

“I see, that’s why he knows how to raise and has power over the dead.” She said.

“Mom do you know that Nico brought me to life?” I asked.

“What? If you are alive, then it’s not allowed for you to be here.” She said. “Maybe Hades forgot to mention that to me”

“I’m only having a dream that started with a blackout mom, it’s okay, and besides I’m still part daughter of Hades because he’s also Pluto” I said kind of interrupted by what she said.

“Even if, you are still alive and the Underworld is never ever a place for the living.” She said in a high tone. “GO NOW, HE IS APPROACHING”

“What? Who is?” I said but then I heard his voice. It was Hades, I didn’t need any more encouragement. Nico was starting to wake, I went to his side and half-carried him and dragged him, when he was finally awake, we were near the Fields of Asphodel, but then something happened. The Furies came, I think it’s the Furies because it’s in Greek.

“Get them” One said, there are three of them and we couldn’t fight them.

“Hazel, you need to wake up now” Nico said. After that, I woke up with a start, I was back in the Argo II.

I thought of something else too, I thought Nico was with Reyna and Coach Hedge, well, maybe he went to the Underworld just to show me that. Whatever it was, Nico was in danger in the Underworld, I just hope Hades will forgive him if he is caught. That made me worried, but if there’s someone I know who can survive, it’s Nico.

Don't forget to comment, I'm open for your suggestions and please also vote. Thanks a lot, your vote means so much.