XVIII - JASON

CHAPTER 18

JASON

            =========EIGHTEEN===JASON========

                “Can I see her please?” I managed to say, rather croak out in front of Annabeth’s terrifying gaze.

            “Yes you can, but never forget how much trouble you are in Jason Grace. Understand?” She says and goes over each word slowly, making sure I got it. I forced a lump down my throat.

            “Yes ma’am” I get out before my voice box forgets how to form words. She nods, opens the door and nods at Hazel, knowing we need some privacy and I send a thank you through my eyes because I can’t speak another word in front of her again.

            When they go, I suddenly notice how my hands are shaking and wet, I quickly wiped them against my clothes, and prepare myself to come in.

            Once inside, I close the door behind me then ran out of what I should say. Piper looks at me, her eyes red and puffy and makes me feel so down knowing I was the cause of that.

            “Look, it’s not that good to overreact” I say and I immediately wish that a brick would fly over and knock me out once more because this causes more trouble than the last state of trouble I was in. Piper narrows her eyes at me and makes me feel like I just want to burn right there and then. “That came out wrong. I’m sorry” I say and look in another way.

            “What a nice way to reconcile things Jason” She says though there’s no humor in that.

            “Piper, I’m so sorry. For everything. For being such a jerk, insensitive,” I start and I could run on and on about the list of how I’ve been nothing a big guy with his ego before him. I hate myself.

            It’s Piper’s smile that stops me and makes me wonder if this is it. If I’m finally forgiven though I doubt it would be that easy.

            “I guess I did overreact a bit so I’m sorry. It’s just that when we were fighting, I felt like the scene my mom showed me was happening, unravelling, though in a very different scenery but pretty much the same feeling. Happiness then fighting, I thought that this might be the one that could break us. I was so close to say I’m choosing the second door Jason. I was so close but when Annabeth went here, she stopped me” She says, her voice a little sore.

            I didn’t notice it, but I was walking to her bed and I stopped when I was by her side. I don’t say or do anything yet she scoots over and makes room for me. I just sit on the spot she made room for me. I touch and hold her hand, and when she doesn’t refuse, I feel like a ton has been lifted from me.

            “You don’t have to say sorry about anything. I was the one who overreacted not you. It was my fault. I’m so sorry Piper and I really mean it with all my heart” I say and just to prove it, I cross an ‘x’ mark on my heart yet before I could make the second line, she stops me.

            “You don’t have to do that. I believe you Jason” She says, and I didn’t know there was still another ton in my chest until it’s lifted.

            I shouldn’t have been so shallow and think that Piper’s all about too bright and colourful things, she’s not, she’s been through and she has every right to believe at least about something like that. Something hopeful to help her yet I’d been too selfish and pierced it myself.