XII - NICO

CHAPTER 12

NICO D.

        ========12=IS=NICO=DI=ANGELO======

Once the moon rolled in, I finally got Reyna and dragged her out of the whole scene that will mark us both forever. She kept quiet the whole time and I like it that way since I couldn’t say anything good anyway. Reyna kept close to me while I held her by her waist as I led the way. I memorized everything that we passed through while Coach Hedge got our backs. I squeezed Reyna’s hand hoping that it would reassure her and she looked at me gratefully.

            At first I knew that I wanted to protect Reyna because she’s just like me and I don’t want her going through those again but right now I don’t know why I want to keep her close and protect her more than ever before now.

            Knowing that the night is dangerous for us to stay here, it’s even more dangerous if we ventured on and we might just find ourselves venturing to our death. No, I’m not going to honor Priapos’ death.  He deserved so much more than that. He held the same hate I had for others though he didn’t become cold and distant unlike me.

            “Reyna. It’s fine now. Priapos died for us so we should be thankful and honor his death alright?” I told a shaking Reyna. She looked at me and right now, I was seeing Reyna as someone vulnerable and weak, someone who wasn’t telling everyone what to do and lead anyone else out of danger. No, the Reyna in front of me is someone who also gets hurt and weakens because of what life has to bring.

            “Okay. Okay” She breathed out though she looked unsure. “Okay” She said a third time though she was definitely not okay.

            We found a cave and immediately decided to stay the night out and although it was summer and supposed to be hot, we were still halfway back to States so here it wasn’t hot at all, in fact it cold out and I feared that this will only make things worse for Reyna.

            “Hey kiddo want to hear a story?” Coach Hedge asked, taking careful measures so as not to startle Reyna. She nodded but doesn’t seem to be her usual self. “Okay then, well there was a girl abducted by aliens then comes a big mighty goat man named Gleeson then saved the little girl. And then they lived happily ever after and the end” He said trying to sound like a great story teller and I know that he actually tried his best to make up a story but it seems it’s not his talent at all.

            “Thanks for the story Gleeson though I’m not five years old” Reyna remarked, and she seemed to somehow be back to her own self which I was glad for.

            “Anytime kiddo” Hedge said which earned him a smile from Reyna and made me smile too.

            “It’s not always happy ever afters in real life though” Reyna said which made me focus all of my attention on her and finally leaving where I was standing, which is by the mouth of the cave, I went in closer to them in the middle of the large cave.

            “I don’t know kid, I’ve never lived long enough to find my happily ever after.” Hedge said at the same time I sat down beside Reyna and on which she cuddled next to me. It was comforting to have her warm body against my cold one and the cold air around us.

            “You seriously believe in happy ever afters?” I asked shocked that he even thought of something like that. I was trying to be on no one’s team but Reyna’s side is what I’m actually thinking all the time. There’s no such thing as happily ever after, that’s just not possible.