Ꮚ Chapter 22 Ꮚ

Ꮚ Chapter 22 Ꮚ

     A secret? That's what we were or what we were going to be. That's what I had to keep. A secret. I could keep a secret. Please, I was the master at secrets. I have been keeping my superhero alter ego a secret. For goodness sake, my story is called the bad boy's secret for a reason. No one knows so I think I'm doing a pretty great job. Okay, Kyle doesn't count when it comes to secrets. He's lucky like that. You know, the whole thing with the best friend privileges. Wait- does Jenna want me to keep it secret from him too? 

     I could do that...for sure...yeah...no problem. Nervous chuckle. That's fine.

     "I think we should check if they are still fighting," Jenna took a hold of my hand as we both came out of the closet. Ha! I inwardly laughed at the thought of that.

     "Knowing my mom she probably punched your mom," I replied knowingly and I wasn't even sorry if I was right.

     I snuck a glance at our hands and attempted to suppress the smile that was overtaking my lips. I liked the feeling of our fingers being intertwined. It was nice. In a totally not weird way.

     "So like when you say secret?" I began questioning exactly what our relationship would be.

     "I mean secret," she replied firmly. "No one knows."

     "Yeah," I cleared my throat. That made sense. It made super sense. So I guess that was an indirect no for telling Kyle.

     I didn't continue with any more questions and walked with Jenna towards the last place we left our parents. Suprise! Suprise! They were still there. Not much of a shocker. And yes, if you were curious they are still fighting.

     "Oh, please," I could hear mom scoff and I sensed her rolling her eyes.

     Jenna immediately lets go of my hand as we approached them. I frowned at the empty feeling but shrugged it off.

     "Um..." Jenna uttered, unsure how to interrupt their unpleasant and rather unnecessary argument.

     "Lucas," mom acknowledged my presence. "You know, I trust you with anything."

     Translation: Lucas whatever I'm about to say you just nod your head like you know what I'm saying. Did I want to know where she was going with this? No, not really. I didn't mind her spewing untrue nonsense. She was probably proving a point to Mrs. Davison. Ugh. Mrs. Davison. Shudders.

     "Of course," I beamed, causing Jenna to raise an eyebrow.

     I'm sure she was catching on.

     "Here," mom handed me her wallet and I smirked, liking the feeling of money in my hand. I noticed the warning glare she was giving me and my smirk fell as I nodded. "I see that you didn't find anything on the list. I guess you were a bit preoccupied." She whispered the last part so I can only hear it, regrettably leaving me to blush and her to grin.

     "Mom," I glared.

     "Take the cart." I took it. "And this time be sure to get everything that is on the list."

      I narrowed my eyes at her teasing tone and she chuckled. "Don't lose my wallet and pay for everything once you're done."

     "And what will you be doing?" I questioned her while crossing my arms over my chest.

      "I'll be dealing with that," she pointed at Jenna's mom.

     "Jeez, mom," I scolded her and pushed her hand away from Mrs. Davidson's view. "Did anyone ever tell you it's not nice to point at people."