Chapter 17: Part one

I walk into the lunchroom when my phone rang. I pull it out of my pocket and press answer, without even looking at the Caller ID. "What's up?" I ask when I put the phone up to my ear. I hear a sigh.

"Holland you really need to start looking at the Caller ID before you answer your phone, gosh you have no idea who could be calling you and what they could be doing," my mom nags me, from the other line, in a paranoid voice. I roll my eyes. She's only saying this because usually when I answer a call from her I say something to the effect of 'Hi Mom' or something like that. I sigh. As much as I love her nagging me I think that she needs to get to the point.

"Okay, mom, what's up?" I ask.

"You need to come home, and you need to bring Aaliyah too!" She says before hanging up. I start getting a really bad feeling. My mom is never like this. She's usually pretty chill. I look around to try and find Aaliyah. My eyes scan the hundreds of kids in the lunchroom until I see Aaliyah. I pick my backpack up off of the floor and walk over to her. When her eyes meet mine she smiles at me. Our eyes don't break away from each other as I continue to walk to her, well until I run into someone and their lunch goes all over my white shirt. I look up and see Karlee Mason. Karlee has dark red hair and bright green eyes. She is head of the cheer team, and her boyfriend is the head of almost every team in this school.

"Sorry, Karlee, I didn't see you there," I say giving her an apologetic smile. She smiles back.

"It's fine Holland," her blue eyes getting brighter then they usually are. I turn around and see that she's looking at Jack Barberi, her boyfriend of three years. He catches her staring at him and smiles at her, and when he sees me he nods his head up. I turn back to Karlee. "I totes get what it's like to be in love," she says before skipping away, causing her red ponytail to bounce behind her. Wait, did she just indirectly tell me that I was in love with Lees? When I look back up at her she's smiling at me and shaking her head. I put my finger up and motion for her to come to me. As she walks over I me I think about what Karlee said, am I in love with Aaliyah? I mean it's only been a little under a month, and we still aren't official. Plus, even if we were together wouldn't that be pretty fast for the L word isn't it?

"What's up, Holl?" She asks, smiling at me.

"Not much, but my mom just called and she sounded pretty worried. She told me to leave and bring you with me, so you wanna come over and chill instead of staying at school?" I ask. She pretends to think for a moment and nods her head. I smile and we walk out to my car. I open her door for her and she hops in. I shut the door behind her and walk over to my side. I hop in and buckle up. I start the engine and we go on our way. Aaliyah's phone buzzes, making her jump slightly. She takes her phone out of her backpack and slides her screen. When I look over at her her face goes pale.

"What's wrong Lees?" I ask putting my hand on her knee. She shakes her head and puts her phone down on her lap.

"I'll tell you later Holland," she replies. I grab her hand and lace our fingers together. She looks at our hands, then over at me. "are you holding my hand?" she asks. I shrug.

"If that's what you wanna call it, I guess I am," I say sarcastically. She hits my shoulder with her other hand and puts her head on my shoulder. We pull into my driveway and hop out of the car, When we walk up to the door I try to open it, but it's locked. I walk back over to my truck and grab the keys out of the ignition. I unlock my front door and pull Aaliyah into my house along with me. We walk in and I send Aaliyah into the living room, and I walk into the kitchen. I go to the fridge and see a note taped onto the fridge. I rip it off and read it carefully.

Holland, I need you to lock the doors and not let anyone in. I also need you to protect Aaliyah as well. Aaliyah's biological father has been trying to find her and get her since we put her up for adoption. He got put in jail for stalking Aaliyah, her adoptive parents, you, and me, and multiple other things. He got bailed out of jail today and I had to go to the hospital. Please, whatever you do, stay safe. -Love you, Mom. I drop the note onto the floor and run to the front door. I lock both locks and go into my living room. I stop when I see that she's laughing, not loud, but she is. She looks over at me and smiles. I smile back, I swear her smile could light up a whole room. My gosh she is so beautiful. I shake my head and pull myself back into reality. I walk around the living room and shut all the blinds and walk over to her. I pull her off of the couch and to my bedroom. I lock the door and shut the blinds.

"Holland, look I obviously like you, but don't you think we need to-" I cover her mouth with my hand and tell her to shush. I open the secret closet and pull her in with me and shut the door. I uncover her mouth and look at her. Her hair falls into her eyes, so I brush it away from them.

"Aaliyah, we need to hide," I inform her before I pick her up and carry her to the very back of the room.

Go follow my IG @lovekennedy100 to know exactly when I post a new chapter!!