My Unlikely Saviour

~6 October 1840~

I open my eyes but I'm not in my room. I try to move but it feels like someone pumped my arms and legs full of lead. When I look around, I find myself on a chair in an office.

    Mr Ambrose's office.

    Why am I here?

    Memories of what happened surface to my brain. My baby. They took my baby! I get up and look around, trying to figure out what happened and find Mr Ambrose so I can tell him just how much I hate him and how much I never want to see him again. 

    "Mr Linton, you're up."  I hear his voice, crisp and cool from behind me.

    I stay facing where I am and cross my arms.

    "Mr Linton, how do you feel?"

    I hrmph and still refuse to reply.

    "I'm speaking to you, Mr Linton. I expect my employees to respond when I ask a question."

    "I'm not your bloody secretary anymore. You said so yourself. I gave you my resignation."

    I hear silence from his end. I turn my face slightly to look at him. His face is hard and stony.

    "I...lost your resignation. As far as I'm concerned you are still in my employ."

    I fully turn and gape at him.

    "You lost it? As in you misplaced it?"

    He hesitates then nods.

    "You bastard! You took my baby and now you're going to act like everything is okay? You threw away my paper because what? You felt bad? So now you're going to try to make it up-" In a flash he's by my side. He grabs my arms and pushes me against the wall.

    "First of all, you will treat me with respect. Second of all, I do not feel bad about anything. Ever. Third..." He looks into my eyes. "You still have your baby."

    My mouth falls open.

    "W-what?"

    He lets me go and steps back.

    "Last night I took a look around. I realized the conditions were less than ideal. I didn't know, Lilly. I didn't know it would be like that. I...I am sorry."

    Mr Ambrose apologized to me.

    Mr never-waste-time Ambrose apologized. to me!

    "Well sir." I try to take on one of his cool tones but I just don't have enough practice. "I suppose you expect me to thank you and fall into your arms in gratitude." I take a step towards him, narrowing my eyes. "But that will never happen. I cannot believe your solution was for me to get rid of it. That...do you know how..." My voice chokes up with tears.

    Mr Ambrose's eyes meet mine, and his hand goes to my cheek, caressing it tenderly.

    "I do know. That's why I made him stop."

    "You did?"

    "Yes. After taking a look around and noticing all the dirt and grime I realized it wasn't very sanitary. When he injected you with whatever made you pass out I noticed he hadn't even washed his hands. Then came the screaming."

    "What screaming?"

    His eyes darken.

    "The screams of some other poor woman. She was having the same...operation done. When she started to scream I looked at the doctor and he shrugged and told me not to worry about it, that it happened all the time." His voice drops a few degrees in temperature. "I would not let that happen to you, so I punched the man and grabbed you, removing you from that awful place." He looks at me. "I am sorry."

    In response, I press my lips to his.

    "I suppose I can forgive you." I say once we break away. "Only if I can keep my job." He starts to protest but I cut him off. With my lips. "Until it begins to show. After that, we can figure something out."

    His eyes let me know what he thinks of "we" but I silence him again. He does like silence.

*

I know this section isn't super long, but I wanted to ease the panic and let you know Mr Ambrose isn't all that awful. People make mistakes. But it's about what you do to fix them that matters.

Tune in next time and we'll see what happens again. I'll try to have another chapter out in a few days :)

~Hamilfan123987