『CHAPTER 04』

4: New Blood

4: New Blood

=0=0=0=0=0=1=0=0=

     Akane yawned and rose. Refiz was cautiously observing her. When Akane's vision got more lucid, she gasped and grabbed a stray brick near her then positioned it upwards.

     "Calm down," said Refiz, raising his hands in front of Akane. Akane sighed in relief and lowered the brick. "What?"

     He grabbed a paper bag and positioned it in front of Akane. "You stole it?" asked Akane and looked at Refiz with his hood down, the upper half of his face still covered by his mask.

     "Seems like it," answered Akane to herself. She gazed at the forests.

     Refiz took two loaves of bread from the paper bag and gave one to Akane. She gladly accepted the offer and hastily ate the loaf of bread.

     "Anyway, I have a more decent black cloak here. You might want to wear it to replace the one I gave you," said Refiz. Akane nodded while pointing at the lake. She swallowed and cleared her throat. "Sweet. But first, I'm going to have a bath."

     Refiz nodded. Akane curiously frowned at him. "You're not gonna have a bath?" He nodded. "I'm finished." Akane curiously stared at him and noticed his damp hair.

     "I see," said Akane and slid down the roof after eating. She hurried to the river below, jumped, and began swimming like a fish.

     Refiz followed and perched on a lower branch of a random tree, watching Akane.

     Akane finished savoring herself in the water. She then walked towards Refiz. He hesitantly handed a black cloak.

     Akane took the cloak. She stepped inside the empty hut by the house to change her clothes.

     Refiz tilted his head while looking at Akane in front of him, smiling hysterically. "Does hair color matter?" asked Akane. Refiz shrugged. She snorted. "I recommend wearing the hood," said Refiz. Akane wore the hood, making her resemble a mysterious cultist. "Oh, how do I return the favor?" asked Akane.

     "No need," Refiz replied. Akane dubiously nodded. "Let's go," said Akane and started walking, with Refiz behind her.

• • •

     They arrived at [Neusud]. Akane peered around in wonder, repeatedly glancing at Refiz while smiling like a kid seeing a bird fly for the first time. She couldn't interpret Refiz's expression and concluded that he's smiling.

     "We should begin with taking quests, right? I believe the quests aren't as boring as killing slimes every single day. Don't you think?" said Akane and looked behind, but Refiz isn't behind her. She sighed and decided to take quests by herself.