『CHAPTER 16』

16: Test of Fate

16: Test of Fate

=0=0=0=1=0=0=0=0=

     Nyx woke up and looked around, seeing the others who were quietly and peacefully sleeping on the tree branches. She stood up from her lying position and looked at the sky-- it was still dawn.

     As she began preparing her things, like she usually does, in her sitting position, a shadow figure with a pair of blinding white eyes was walking right below her. Nyx quickly hid on the other side of the tree and peered over to the walking shadow, who stopped as soon as it walked past her.

     With the help of the faint light of the sun, she was able to see the person from behind. It had long black hair extending until the knees, based on the height-- it was a girl.

     Since the trees are as tall as a two-story house, Nyx silently navigated through the trees and remained hidden from the girl's sight.

     Nyx frowned when the girl slightly crouched and jumped at a crazy height. She landed on the branch of a tree quite far from them.

     The girl continuously jumped on the trees, heading away from them. Nyx tried to follow the girl. However, after a few seconds, she disappeared from her sight.

     Nyx tried to look around and jumped on a few branches trying to locate the girl. 'Tsk,' she whispered to herself and turned away to try and go back to the others.

     As soon as she turned back, the girl was in front of her. She was standing on the opposite branch, her face fully covered by the shades of the trees.

     Nyx tried to draw out her Cybersword and yell at others. However, she couldn't speak or move.

     The girl's face was slowly revealed into someone familiar to Nyx with the help of the rising sun, making her knees tremble. The girl genuinely smiled, and her eyes turned black at the same time.

     Nyx darted her sight left and right, looking for someone who could help her out. She wanted to run so bad-- she doesn't know why she wanted to run.

     The girl leaned closer to Nyx's ear. "You will never escape my revenge, sister Reeka," whispered the girl, letting out an eerie atmosphere and chilling down Nyx's spine.

     She leaned back away from Nyx and opened her mouth, revealing long and sharp teeth. Her face went distorted to a horrid-looking monster-- not even a smart and observant person could determine what she previously looked like.

     Terrified by the horrendous anomaly in front of her, Nyx shut her eyes closed as the girl let out a high-pitched demonic screeching and fled away from Nyx.

     It went quiet for a few seconds before she heard familiar screams. She tried to open her eyes, but it didn't cooperate with her.

     As she tried and tried, frowning and grunting in disbelief, she was finally able to open her eyes, only to see nothing but the forest under the dawn. Sweating, she looked around in panic and saw Varen and the others, peacefully sleeping on the branches.