Chapter 21

We spent the rest of the night doing what we always did but it somehow felt different, the atmosphere had shifted slightly but it was a nice change. It was as if we were finally accepting our feelings toward each other and reaching some sort of clarity between us. We were now free to do things we'd previously restricted ourselves from, the way I could now watch the movie comfortably with my head on his uninjured shoulder and he could wrap his arm around me, it felt odd and lovely all at once.

I wouldn't say I was in love just yet. I admired him that much was certain and there was no denying the giddy feeling I had whenever he was near me but I wouldn't call our current situation love. Maybe it was, maybe this was exactly what love felt like and I am too inexperienced to have a idea but for now I couldn't tell.

We had reached the later hours of the night, I had made sure Edward took all his necessary medication and we were having the inevitable conversation about who slept where. We were at a crossroads, both insisting that we would be the one to sleep on the couch. The argument had gotten ridiculous, the two of us bickering childishly at what the proper manner would be. I was afraid it would go on all night until he offered up a compromise.

"This seems to be a much larger issue than even I had anticipated so how about the both of us sleep in the bed?" He suggested and I thought about it hesitantly. His demeanor had changed just like it had a couple of times now but I still chalked it up to the meds. "I mean the two of us are technically a couple now aren't we? I promise I don't snore." His voice had taken on a more cocky tone, his mannerisms more relaxed.

"I suppose so, are you sure you are alright with that?" I asked him, unsure if he was serious. "Because once again I'm more than happy to sleep on the couch-"

"No no it is completely fine, unless you don't want to-"

"No no it's completely fine!" The two of us were speaking over each other until we finally came to the agreement, both of us getting ready for bed.

I pulled the cover to my chin and turned over to face Ed who had done the same, he had a small smirk twitching at his lips and I replied with my own small smile. He took that as an invitation to lean in closer to me, his hand finding its way to my waist as he pulled me in for a small kiss on the lips before placing another one on my forehead.

"Goodnight Alice." He whispered, his voice soft and husky.

"Goodnight Edward." With that, I turned over but his hand never left my waist, instead, he pulling me closer to him and wrapping his arm around me as I let my head fall on his chest.

We slept soundly the entire night and I was the first to wake, deciding that after everything that Edward had been through it would be a nice gesture to cook him breakfast. His uninjured arm had been wrapped around my waist and I slowly pried it off of me, quietly making my way to the kitchen and looking up a recipe for pancakes. I had finished the batter and was halfway through cooking them when Ed woke up, his hair slightly messy and his glasses strewn messily on his face.

"Morning." I hummed joyfully, not usually this happy in the early hours of the day but right now seemed to be an exception.

"Good morning." He winced slightly as he sat down and I remembered that he had to take his painkillers. I flipped the pancakes and found the tablets he needed, sliding the small containers and a glass of water over to where he sat at the counter. He smiled gratefully and took what he needed to take and I put the containers away. By then the pancakes were ready and I plated them up for the both of us.

"Hope you like them, I just found the recipe on the internet so I'm not sure how it's going to taste," I explained with a shrug.

"You didn't have to make me breakfast Alice, this is lovely." He ate the pancakes and didn't seem to hate them so that's at least one good thing. I ate my own and washed up the plates when we were finished.