Chapter 25

My dress was wonderful, whoever Lex hired was a genius and I couldn't thank her enough as she handed me the finished product, a deep purple floor length dress with a stylish neckline. I put it on and let the stylists do what they wished with my face and hair, slipping on my shoes as they were finishing up. Query sat on my lap and kept me company through the process, I had to leave her in the room while the party went ahead so I left her with a pat on the head and plenty of toys to play with.

As I exited the room I was greeted with Edward standing outside the door. His suit was a dark green, much like the ones he usually wears but tonight he adorned a purple pocket square, matching perfectly with my dress. He looked incredibly handsome, everything clean cut and perfectly in place.

"Alice you look." He seemed to be struggling for words before looking much more at ease. "Absolutely flawless." I blushed at his compliment.

"Thank you. You look very handsome yourself, we make quite the pair." I teased lightly and his smile was all the reassurance I needed that tonight would go perfectly. He offered his arm and I linked it with mine as we made our way to the stair case. Edward and I glanced around the room at the guests and I could feel him tense lightly.

"These men would kill to stand where I'm standing and yet you seem perfectly contempt with your choice." He mused and I glanced at him with curiosity.

"What do you mean?" I ask him before we begin to descend the stairs.

"Look at all these suitors far more suitable than I am yet you remain standing beside me, I truly must be the luckiest man on Earth." I blush ferociously and I tilt my head from his view to block him from seeing it.

"I would choose you a thousand times over no matter the outcome." I give him a small kiss before we finally make our way to the bottom of the stairs where I am bombarded with guests I had barely met, all fighting for an ounce of my attention.

I greet them all with the manners I had grown up with and eventually Edward and I managed to weave our way through the many unknown people to get a drink. By this time I had already clarified with seventeen people that yes, Edward and I are dating and that yes, we are very happy with one another and yes, this has been going on for quite some time. Despite my obvious annoyance with the subject I noticed that each time I would explain our relationship Edward would develop a small, chuffed smile and that alone gave me the motivation to carry on with the rest of the night.

It wasn't until we received our drinks that I noticed Jim, Lee and Harvey. The three of them cleaned up quite nice, Harvey actually looking presentable and Jim looking slightly more formal than his usual attire. Lee looked absolutely gorgeous, she wore a dark maroon dress that suited her immensely, wearing matching lipstick and black high heels to give the elegant and formal look to suit the event. I perked up as I noticed their presence, Edward and I making our way over to greet them.

"You made it! Was everything ok getting here?" I greeted them and they all looked pleased with however they were treated.

"I think I need to be buddies with that Lex kid, he sure knows how to travel in style." Harvey states with a laugh.

"Any friend of Alice's is a friend of mine." Lex appears from behind the three of them, scaring Harvey half to death. "Lex Luthor, a pleasure, I've heard quite a lot about you." He introduces himself.

"Jim Gordon, this is my girlfriend Lee and my partner Harvey, thank you for organizing our stay in Metropolis, it's great to get away from the office once in a while." He shook hands with Lex, giving him an appreciative smile.