Head Down, Pencil's Sharp

"Morgan?" Gail opens my bedroom door. "Sweetheart, it's already noon." I don't respond from the cacoon I've wrapped myself in using the duvet. "Are you sick?" She comes closer to touch my forehead.

I watch her with solem, regretful eyes. Pity she doesn't know why.

"I'm just having a bad weekend," I respond truthfully.

Gail presses her lips together. "Something happened at the party?" My silence urges her further. "First your mood, then Theo's cryptic phone call...were the other kids mean to you? I swear I'll disown them!"

I sit up. "Theo called?"

"Yeah. Wanted to know if you got home alright and so on." Her jaw clenches.

"Gail," I start," I'm fine.  Everything is okay. I just got fed up and went home in a bit of a huff cause some idiot said something and I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to anyone."

Her posture relaxes slightly. "Alright. I'll drop it...for now." She turns to leave. "There's smoothie in the fridge. I'm going for a smoke outside if you need me."

When the door closes I un-cacoon myself and stumble downstairs for food. I scrounge for food. Everything this woman has is healthy. I mean gosh. Live on the edge a little. I slam the cupboard door in disgust.

My cellphone beeps in my pocket. I ignore the message, but it gives me an idea. I start to press in the number.

They pick up.

"Welcome to Pete's Pizzas home delivery section. My name is Michelle. How can I help you?" Her rigid tone tells me that she has done this hundreds of times before.

I order a large Meat Lover's pizza with extra toppings. Gail is so disgusted by my choice of nourishment she almost refuses to pay.

I spend Saturday dodging calls with my head bent down in the books while munching on junk food.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday morning isn't much different.

"Morgan?" Gail opens the study door. She leans back on the shut door as I  turn my attention to her.

Her expression is serious. She doesn't know right? She can't know. Who would have told her?

"What's up, Gail?" I say in the cheeriest voice I can muster.

"Sweetie, you know how I introduced you to your parents at a Sunday brunch...well that's a regular thing for us and today is no different. It's a tradition. I was wondering of you would want to join us?"

I crinkle my nose. "If it's alright with you, I'd like to stay here. I still have some studying to do and I don't want to intrude." Her shoulders sag. "I'll only make everyone uncomfortable."

Gail flashes a ghost smile. "It's alright, dear. I didn't think you'd be up for it. I leave in an hour if you change your mind."

I won't. I don't.

Gail returns at four that afternoon. I am engrossed in a documentary on Coco Chanel playing on the T.V. while stuffing popcorn in my mouth.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Finals week. I walk through the halls in a totally different mindset. Nothing and no one can shatter the bubble surrounding me. Not Kiersten who sits next to when I write my first final. Not Julian who watches me disappear during lunch. And certainly not Anastasia who glares at every given chance.

But the other girl, Sopheary, gets me every time. She unnerves my everything. As much resolve and strength as she has, it is fragile. Like a monarch suffering for the good of her people.