My Girl

14: 45

I sit on the couch stiff as a board. My cuticles are being picked at to destruction. The inside of my cheek is already raw. I hardly slept last night. 

What if they send me to boarding school or military school and I only come home once a year. I'd run away. Where would I go? No one knows where Silas lives. What would I do about school? I should never have acted out. It was irresponsible. It backfired. I'm paying the price for my disobedience. 

14: 50 

I'm wearing a white Oxford shirt and skinny jeans. I can't look like a wild child. There is a blemish on my ballerina flats. Can't have that. I lean down to get rid of it. I feel like I'm about to puke. My head is spinning. I hate this. 

14:55 

"Calm down, Morgan." Gail places a hand on my shoulder. "It's not at all what you think."

"Maybe I would calm down if you told me what was going on." I snap. "Where are you going?" My voice rises in pitch when I notice the flap handbag over her shoulder. 

"When they arrive, I'm going to leave and come back when you're done." Gail says calmly. 

"What?!" I exclaim. "But Gail..." I trail off in search of reasoning.

A knock goes at the door. 

"Come now, Morgana, it is too late for all these issues," she explains while making her way to the front door. "You'll laugh once you see who it is." 

The door opens. I can't see who it is. There is no cheery greeting instead there is a brisk nod between the parties. 

"Morgan, let me introduce your mother and father." Gail says. She barely spares a glance, not even a smug one, in my direction before she exits  with a dispassionate 'goodbye'. 

Had she meant it I still wouldn't have comprehended much. I am in too much shock. And I most certainly am not laughing neither are Clara and Ren. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Are you it? You are the people who are supposed to talk to me?" I cry out. Much help that will be, there's Ren who thinks I'm a piece of glass and Clara can barely acknowledge my existence. 

Clara clears her throat. "In light of the recent events, we decided that it would benefit us all if we could discuss things with you."

"What exactly is there to discuss?" It is weird having Clara directly address me. 

"Morgan, you caused a scene at the beach and demanded to go home early, also neglecting to tell us about your birthday and then when you came home you ran away to who knows where to do who knows what." Ren stresses. "I would've thought you have the logic to see what is wrong with that."

"But I didn't!" I resist stamping my foot for emphasis. "The only reason I caused a scene was because Julian kissed me like a month ago and he Sopheary are technically together. Julian was leading Sopheary and me on, but because I'm the newbie everyone was treating me like crap. And it would have been forgotten! But no, Kiersten had to throw me under the bus like a real Cinderella stepsister while we were playing truth or dare. And...I...I wasn't going to stand for it to let people, outsiders, judge me and tell me I'm not good enough to be there...That I was a mistake that should have never resurfaced. "

"Morgan," Ren rests his hand on my shoulder, "you could have said something to me...or even Isla." 

I cross my arms over my chest. "This isn't playschool. You can't make them like me...and frankly," I turn away slightly, "I didn't know if I wanted to be one of them. Hell! I still don't know. But I try to be someone else around them...someone I wasn't raised to be--I didn't like it."