Ride

The car is quiet. I sit in the passenger seat. I watch the streets and buildings pass by. I can barely keep my eyes open. Silas's gaze shifts towards me every time my head starts to drop. 

Daphne's so quiet, but she's awake. She is sitting stiffly in the backseat like a mannequin. Or like she's in a car with a serial killer. I wonder why everyone is so weary of Silas. Should I be scared? 

"Can I turn the radio on, please?" I ask suddenly. "Otherwise I'll pass out right here and now." 

'Young, Dumb and Broke' comes on. An annoying song, but a catchy song. It doesn't take me long to start humming along. Next I start bouncing along.  Daphne glares at me in shock. I'll be fine,  after all Silas is watching me out the corner of his eye with a reluctant smile. 

Silas clears his throat. "Who am I dropping off first?"

"Daphne." 

Daphne balks. "You're closer." 

I glare at her. She needs to shut up. She wouldn't last a minute alone in a car with Silas. It's better me than her. 

"Directions?" He asks. 

I turn to Daph who starts explaining. She constantly moves her long red braid from one side to the other. The silence ensues while I hum to whatever plays on the radio. 

"You two are both so quiet," I complain. "And I'm bored." 

"Is she drunk?" Daphne hisses at Silas, her fear forgotten. 

Silas splutters, "NO! She had two drinks...unless she's a light weight. Is she?" 

"I'm not drunk! How dare you." I cross my arms over my chest. "I'm just feeling here and now."

My gaze lands on the dark world outside that flashes by. I don't say anything again and Silas and Daph don't either. 

Daphne speaks up. "Pull over here. We can't park right outside my window." 

Silas takes us to a halt. 

"Here we are then." 

Silas turns to Daphne who jumps out. I lurch open the passenger door. 

"Give me a goodbye hug at least." I demand. 

Daphne scoffs before giving me a hug. She whispers in my ear, "Watch yourself around him," before pulling away. She bites her bottom lip before turning in Silas' direction. 

"Uh...Thanks, um, Silas." She nods at him. 

He says nothing, but returns the nod in a much stronger way. 

"Thanks for the awesome night out, Daph. I needed this." I tell her.

"Sure..." she trails off. 

We watch Daphne round the corner on her way home before pulling away. 

"Can we drive past her street?" I ask him. "Just to make sure she got there alright, please?" 

"Fine." He sighs. 

We whizz past as Daphne is climbing up the rope ladder to her bedroom window. Good times, I muse. I sure as hell can't stop the smile forming in nostalgia. 

"What?" Silas' gaze flickers from me to the road. 

I shake my head. "I miss doing that is all. Anyways..."

I continue to explain where Jo lives. 

Silas ask," Who am I dropping you off at?" 

"My friend Jo. I hope she'll take me in."