When the Dog Bites, When the Bee Stings...

"So this is the stuff on sale, but don't worry. This isn't like other places. So this stuff isn't crappy or old." Margot starts digging up clothes.

I grab a blouse. "I don't recognise the label."

"Of course you don't," Margot says handing Marnie a green maxi dress with floral print. "It's all hand-made by Tallulah and her friends, Clover and Rain."

"Clover and Rain? What interesting names." Marnie remarks as she holds the dress up to her body.

"Yeah, I know. Clover's boyfriend's name is Kale so it sounds like you are ordering plants for a garden." Margot stands back to let us dig.

"So your sister is a designer?" I put down the blouse.

Margot crosses her legs. "Nah, Lula can't draw a stick figure." She snorts. "Rain is the designer. Why? You one too?"

"I wish I could be one. I mean, I know a lot about fashion, but it isn't a very prosperous career. Like there are lots of risks." I quickly try to cover my offense. "Besides, I only turn sixteen on July 7th. I still have lots of time to choose."

"Isn't that...like in four days?" Marnie moves around some more clothes.

"Yeah. I mean tomorrow is Fourth of July." Margot start to sift through the nearest rack of clothes.

"Holy cow." I drop the shirt. "I'm sorry." I retrive it. "I forgot the date. I didn't realise what tomorrow is."

"Can't believe I am older than you." Margot remarks. "I turned sixteen three weeks ago. How about you Marnie?"

"I turn sixteen next month. Hey, mind if I try this on?"

"Knock yourself out." Margot shrugs. "You know, I want to be an artist. So it's the artist, the designer and...what do you think Marnie wants to be? Probably something fancy like a doctor."

"I want to be a designer, but I plan on becoming a lawyer," I correct her.

Margot stares at me. "No shit? Why? Are you no good something?"

" A lawyer is more practical."

"So you give up on your dream because 'it isn't practical'? That's stupid." Margot crosses her arms over her chest.

I explain that it isn't the only reason, that I also have no experience and it's too late to start.

"It's never too late to start." Margot shakes her head. "And I mean, come on! Take a chance and give it a go."

By this time Marnie is back and it is my turn to go to the dressing room. It is nothing to be exicited about. A graphic t-shirt with a weird smiley face on it.

"This one wants to be an accountant!" Margot groans when I return.

"It's a good career!" Marnie challenges.

"Looks like you'll never win, Margot." I laugh.

Even these two fit better with me than Anastasia and them. They must think I've been kidnapped or something.

"Hey, Margot, thanks for the shirt. I really have to go." I head for the door.

"Wait!"

I am surprised to find that it is Marnie.

"Can we...hangout again later? Or exchange numbers? Because I am here with my aunt and cousin for some 'girl time' and you two are honestly the most interesting people I have met. And I don't want to throttle you guys whenever you speak to me." Marnie begs.

"I've made friends!" Margot fist pumps.

"Okay." I say.

We exchange numbers and find each other on Instagram before departing. I still have the money Kiersten gave me. I spot a smoothie place which is probably where Marnie's came from. I am already late so I might a well.