Lair of the Damned

"So this is the lair of the infamous Julian Danger?" I drawl. The cold takes effect; the cold bites into my skin.

He opens a drawer.

"Julian Regulus Danger, actually," he corrects.

"Like Harry Potter?" I raise a brow.

He puts on a shirt covering up the abdomen of the Greek Gods sculpted by physical practise and strain, I can't help but pout.

"It's means 'little king'," he says. "My mother hoped it would inspire bravery in me."

"Where is your mom?" Oh, flip. That might be a sensitive subject.

His tensed jaw confirms this. "She passed away." He sits down on the couch. "Sit down," he offers.

I take a seat opposite him on the other couch. Julian's steely gaze does not waver.

"Did Ren invite you to Norvill?" He asks.

"Yup." My lips are drawn in a thin line.

Julian nods. "So this is going to be awkward."

"What makes you say that? We just got caught making out by your personal PI." I say sarcastically. "Is Anastasia going?"

"Fuck." He rests his chin on his palm. "Yeah. Yeah, she's going.  She wouldn't miss it."

Unable to stop myself I wonder aloud, " How did they even get together?"

Julian lifts his shoulder. "Some sort of fucked-up opposites attract thing. They've been an item since freshman year. On then off, but still technically together."

"A love story like no other." I sink back into the couch. "Who was the blonde?"

He pauses. "Sopheary Fall," he informs me after a brief silence.

"Is she your girlfriend or something?" I watch as he watches me.

"Nope," he replies.

"Good." I look heavenward. "What happened at the party? Why me?"

Julian shuts his eyes. "Call it base instinct. A fit of lust-consumed passion."

I grin bitterly. "That's all I wanted to know."

I don't need any more than that. I didn't seduce anyone's boyfriend. We are both single. No one has any claim over anybody.

"She'll be there too," he says quietly. "Sopheary. Her parents have a place up there."

"Great." I roll my eyes. "No offense."

"None taken. Hey?" I make eye contact. "We're cool, right?"

"Are we cool? How can you even ask me that?" My jaw is agape. "You could have at least given me a warning."

"I didn't hear you complaining." He says it malice-free, but rather factually. Emotionless.

"I was a little too distracted by the shit that hit the fan." I say incredulously.

Julian sits eagle-spread. "Don't stress about it. Theo's more pissed off with me than you. After all, I did supposedly seduce his new sister. Not that you are at all as innocent as he believes you to be."

"What can I say? Animal magnetism." I cross my legs, suddenly wishing that I wasn't wearing my shabby sweatpants and a hoodie.

He throws his head back in a laugh. He has a deep throaty laugh.

"You intrigue me, Morgan Sweeney." His topaz eyes are sparkling with mischief.

The corner of my lips twitch. "Morgan Cardae Sweeney." I smirk. "I should get going." A loud thump sounds from somewhere in the house. "How do you sleep through this?"