Please Don't Cry

I was on my hands and knees on the floor holding my throbbing nose. I could feel the blood dripping into my hands and I groaned. "Oh no! Steve?" said Tony and he jumped down onto the floor next to me. I could hear him panicking to himself. "I'm sorry... I-I didn't know it was you! I didn't know what I was doing." I slowly raised my head and he couldn't even look me in the eyes. "Please say something."

"It's-it's fine Tony," I mumbled. He reached into his draws and pulled out a cloth. He held it tight against my nose and wouldn't let go.

"I did it in my sleep Steve... it was the dream again," he cried and I could see his hands shaking even more as he started to think about it. "I don't know what to do." As he lifted the cloth of my face his face dropped and his eyes watered. "I-I did that... to you?" he dropped the cloth in my lap and ran into the bathroom and slammed the door. I could hear him locking the door and breathing heavily against it. I sat with my back against the door and so did he on the other side.

"Tony? I know it was an accident... you were asleep and I scared you," I said. I could hear him trying to speak but he was blubbering into his arms. "Please open the door...please."

"You can't see my like this... just go," Tony mumbled. "You're better off without me right?"

"Tony! Of course I'm not. I don't care if you have PTSD, it's not your fault... just open the door... I-I love you!" I whimpered and I knocked my fist onto the door a few times. It was silent for a few seconds. Then I heard the lock turn and I ran in almost hitting him with the door. He was just sitting on the floor curled up with a tissue in his hands. "Tony?" I knelt down next to him and I threw the cloth into the bin.

"Steve, I'm hurting you," he said. "I thought I could handle the dreams and flashbacks but it's affecting  you... just look in the mirror!" I looked up and my nose was purple and red. "I-I think I need help."

"Tony, I'm not leaving you just because of this. I'm going to help you," I said and as I tried to put my hand on his arm, he moved away. "Come on. Don't be like this."

"How are you going to help me, Steve? How?" asked Tony. I grabbed his arm before he could move it away and he looked at me with red eyes and his lips quivering.

"Tell me the dream," I said. Tony moved back scared and his eyes widened. "I want to understand." After taking a moment he crawled up to me and he took me by my hands.

"I'm messed up Steve. I'm going to tell you this, but just promise me... it doesn't leave the room... it's traumatic to me and hard to say," Tony said squeezing my hands.

"Take as long as you need," I said softly.

******

"And... then I woke up... and you were over me... and-I-I knew I was okay," said Tony drying the last of his tears. I felt crazy with emotions. "D-do you think I'm weak?"

"No, no, no! Tony you're brave. I love you for telling me," I said and he climbed up my and into my arms. "I know why it's hard for you. It sounded... scary."

"It's getting late now... do you want to go to bed?" he asked. "But you stay here." I picked him up in my arms and I put him down on the bed and pulled the covers up to his head. "Stay?" I climbed into bed onto the other side and he rolled over so he was facing me. "This has happened too many times and I know, it's getting boring."

"Nothing from you is boring," I said. "Now shut your eyes my love." He smiled and started to doze off. I looked at him and he just looked so peaceful and that nothing was wrong. I don't care how many panic attacks he has, I will always care.