Chapter Seventeen

When I regained consciousness over my body, I did nothing, I did not breathe, did not think, just let myself, my body being in the present.

I was still alive.

Otherwise, this agony over all my body really sucks.

I was in complete and utter agony from head to toe.

To the deepest parts of my soul.

Not joking.

Each sound made my head, my brain, ache like nothing I had ever experienced in my whole freaking life. Not even those mind reading attacks/ which were followed by a truly intense migraine could compare to how I felt at the moment.

It didn't even compare to that.

Each breath made me tense and spasm in pain, agony embracing my ribs in its tight and painful embrace. My throat felt like it was on fire with all that choking from that night.

I could hear different voices all around me, I could recognize Edward's, Alice's, Jasper's, Rosalie's, and, of course, Doctor Carlisle's. But I couldn't focus on what they said, I couldn't distinguish their voices from the noises around them as if my head was completely underwater.

The only thing that occurred to me was that cold hand that touched my forehead.

As soon as that hand touched me, my body tensed up, remembering that same ice-cold touch from the vampire, flashbacks invaded my thoughts, repeating what happened over and over again, reminiscing his cold hands, his bloody eyes, his flawless skin.

How powerless I felt next to that man.

From this hand, I felt the same held back strength, and coldness as that blood-sucking creature.

Then, I noticed something else, I remember that sickly sweet smell was all over the room I was in, the same smell these blood-sucking creatures had all over them. As if they were put head first into cheap perfume.

Two fingers touched the area where my pulse was most strongly felt, and the cold touch gave me shivers, and yet, Carlisle could have just paid attention to the heartbeat monitor attached to me, beeping next to me.

Heartbeat increasing drastically, and I could hear it from the machine next to me, my body realized something else.

In what kind of danger I was in.

Same cold skin.

Same sickly sweet smell.

Now, it felt as if I finally had my head out of the constricting water. It made me realize lots of things. How they never went into the sun, how they never ate around people. How Bella was saved by Edward with his superhuman strength and speed. How cold and skin their skin was. 

How perfect they are.

How this weird vibe always is around them all.

It felt as if a veil was dropped from around me, hiding, every lie, every truth the world had.

Now, I could listen to what the Cullens were saying.

" Carlisle, she met one of us, she needs to know that we'd never do the same things as that creature."

"But the amount of trauma she already suffered might leave scars on her mind, how would she feel when she learns about us? A vampire tried to drain her little sister in front of her."

The heartbeat monitor's beeps accelerated.

One of us.

"Carlisle--" I could hear Jasper try to interrupt his father.