Chapter 38 ~ The Red Ace

PLEASE

COMMENT

AND 

VOTE!

~KC Blares

******************************************************************************************************

Chapter 38 ~ Let the Cards Fall

Damon’s P.O.V.

The full moon lingered in the ink black sky over our heads, illuminating the graveyard around us as if shaming us for what we were doing. Ben and Owen were in a three-foot deep hole in front of my mother’s headstone, digging loads of dirt over the sides.

“When they bring her up, do you want me to grab the necklace?” Dan asked me, standing beside me with tired yet expressionless eyes, his arms crossed. I shook my head.

“No, I need to do it.” I replied with a strained jaw. Dan just nodded silently, his eyes steady on the deepening hole. Amber, Diana, and Janna were a few feet behind us under a looming willow tree talking in hushed whispers.

A haunting breeze brushed along my arms and sent goose bumps racing along my exposed skin. Both Ben’s and Owen’s expressions were grave as they got ever closer to the coffin. I breathed in heavily, blowing out a tired sigh. I wished for it to be over soon. I was just so sick of conflicted feelings and fearful blood coursing through my veins. KC; I loved her, I hated her. The rogues; toying with my feelings, toying with KC’s life. Just thinking about it made me believe I smelt cherry and spice.

            “Alpha,” Owen called from the grave. I looked down to see the two men brushing remaining dirt off of the smooth mahogany coffin, the old wood still able to gleam under the moon.

            “Great, bring her up,” I ordered, watching anxiously while both the men heaved the heavy casket over the side, resting it on the mint green grass. With a sigh, I kneeled beside it, feeling Dan and the girls crowd around behind me. With quaking fingers, I pried the top open, dust spilling out in a grey cloud. I coughed, trying to fan away the lingering dust before forcing myself to look at the decaying skin and bones that was my mother.

            “Gawd, Mother Nature works fast,” Amber breathed, peering down at the greyish-green skin and caved eyes. I threw her a glare before I took notice to the gleaming chain that clung to the thin, shriveled neck. Holding my breath, I reached behind the fragile head and carefully pulled the necklace off holding it up in front of me.

The gold still shone as if it had been freshly polished, the onyx looking as though it was giving off its own glow. The twisted and curled engravings were deep, some even exhibiting the smooth black stone inside. The chain almost seemed to vibrate in my fist when the silver beams of the moon reached the heart.