Chapter 40 ~ Crimson Poker Table

PLEASE

COMMENT

AND

VOTE 

~KC Blares

***************************************************************************************************

Chapter 40 ~ Crimson Poker Table

 Damon’s P.O.V

Diana had dressed KC in new undergarments, a military insignia tee shirt, and black shorts, making her comfortable. I sat beside the cot, stroking the back of KC’s hand, her fingers still wrapped around the charm. She growled and murmured in her sleep, stirring now and again against her restraints at something she was witnessing. I found myself stroking her hair soothingly, hoping to make her realize that I was there to protect her against her nightmares. But an irresistible scent wafted from KC’s body, screaming out to me. I found the self-control I needed to hold back my wolf, planning to do what I can to make up for KC’s past. She was mine and I was more dedicated than ever to make sure she would be safe with me.

At some point within the night, I had fallen asleep with my head resting besides KC’s. I was woken up when I heard the broken door creek open behind me. Amber and Dan had wandered in in their pajamas, Amber’s eyes red and puffy.

“Diana told us she was poisoned,” Dan said, Amber releasing a quivering breath.

“Yeah, wolfsbane,” I replied, rubbing my sleep filled eyes.

“Is it hurting her?” Amber asked, walking up beside me to look down at KC, taking in her paled skin and mumbled threats.

“It’s hard to tell. She’s definitely seeing something she doesn’t like,” I sighed, referring to KC’s unconscious snarling. Sweat glistened on her forehead and she gently pulled at the padded restraints around her wrists and ankles that kept her against the cot.

“She’ll be ok, right?” Dan looked at me with a stern look, clearly hiding his concern and maintaining his manly pride.

“I don’t know.” I responded after a pause, glancing between Amber and Dan. “The poison’s going to take its toll on her, but it’ll hopefully fade in a few days. Janna had poured Nightshade extract on the wound to make it circulate.”

“Promise to keep us up to date,” Amber looked me dead in the eye, something she never would’ve done just a couple days ago, and turned back towards the door, leaving Dan to linger for a minute before obediently following her. I ran a hand through my messy hair tiredly, studying KC’s wincing face. If only she knew that I wanted to be there for her, to protect her with my life against whatever it was that was terrifying her. All she knew of me then, however, was a jerk, but her life hanging in the balance brought to light how much I truly wanted her.