CH17:The Swordsman

"Hey, Tsuna?"

'What is it Yamamoto?' He signed, smiling amiably as he turned to face his friend.

Yamamoto chuckled at that, swinging an arm around the brunette. Then, "Let's go to the arcade!" He announced grandly, sparkles in the background as he gave the air a fist-bump.

Tsuna blinked once, then twice, and as Gokudera sputtered in outrage, he shook his head endearingly.

'Let's go!' He sighed, and pretended not to see Gokudera wilt at his enthusiasm.

They left, smiling as chatter filled the air. Well, more like Yamamoto and Tsuna were smiling, while Gokudera and Yamamoto as well was engaged in a rather eventful argument.

"You idiot!" Gokudera snapped, eyes narrowing as he gave a raven a shove. But Yamamoto took no offence, instead continuing to laugh cheerily.

You know, Sora? They'd make a good coupl—

He never got to finish that thought.

The world went silent, almost abruptly, and Tsuna felt the universe tilting off its axis.

Flame signatures, he realized it instantly.

And familiar ones too.

His throat tightened, a painful lump forming.

No...

Why are they here?

Why now?

Tsuna...?

(gunshots, needles, pain—)

(rain, panic, blood—)

Tsuna! I need you to calm down...

He startled, and silent shaky breaths escaped parched lips. One, two, three— he counted each inhale painstakingy.

Breathe...

That's right, Tsuna. Just keep breathing.

And slowly, air returned to his lungs, and the fog in his mind cleared enough for hin to recognise the alarmed looks his friends were sending him.

Gokudera even had an arm out, as though ready to steady him should he fall.

He inhaled.

'I'm fine.' His fingers still shook, but he stared straight into their worried gazes. 'I just remember I have to do something first. Go on, I'll catch up in a minute.'

Gokudera looked taken aback. "No!" He nearly shouted, eyes sweeping over Tsuna's trembling form with a concerned glance. "We can't, Tsuna-sama!"

Another inhale. Tsuna felt those familiar flames flare once more. His friends wouldn't be safe here, just like how they weren't the last time and—

"Go."

Just that one word was enough to make Gokudera cower. His voice held power; it was obviously an order.

But still, the bomber stood his ground. "Tsuna-sama.." he whispered, torn between his loyalty and concern for Tsuna's state of mind. Any other time, Tsuna would had been touched by Gokudera's strange defiance, but as of right now...

He couldn't, not with the danger that loomed before them. Before him. And Yamamoto seemed to sense something in his gaze.

"Gokudera." He tugged at the bomber's arm, eyes uncharacteristically sharp. "We'll just meet Tsuna at the mall, okay?"