CH33:Unfulfilled Promises

"You knew."

The sharpness punctuating those simple words, accompanied by the sudden screech and crash of a chair, interrupted Tsuna's recounting.

Most jumped slightly, startled by the halt of Tsuna's low voice. Gokudera, in particular, began to turn a nasty shade of red, just about ready to start yelling at the offender. But Tsuna only turned to face Mukuro, a weary understanding in his eyes.

"Knew what, Mukuro?"

Mukuro chuckled bitterly. "Don't play dumb games with me, Zero. You know who I'm talking about."

Tsuna sighed. "And what difference would it have made if I'd always known who that man was to you?" he asked.

Slowly, he grasped Mukuro's hands into his own, squeezing gently. "I never blamed you for anything. You went through just as much as me. As all the children there."

"You make me sound weak, Zero."

"No! You were a victim, Mukuro," Tsuna snapped, eyes flashing amber. "We all were. Victims. Playthings. Children. Toys to those that kept us in cages and left us hungry and hopeless for days and days. We were kids, Mukuro. And that is not weakness."

Eyes blinking slowly in surprise, Mukuro clicked his tongue, looking almost impatient. "Why do you annoyingly always know what to say?"

Tsuna smiled. "Because I wouldn't be me without my cheesy lines?"

"Oh, haha, Zero," Mukuro gave an imperceptible eyeroll, before turning back to the test of group that had conveniently been forgotten in favour of their exchange.

"As nauseating as it may be to explain," Mukuro drawled, "I find myself owing Zero –and by extension, you lot, I suppose– an explanation."

Silence.

Mukuro sighed. "You see, that man who bought Zero, as one might disgustingly put it–" he cleared his throat, seeming extremely uncomfortable. "–the man who bought Zero was someone whom you people might typically call, well, my father."

Silence.

And then pandemonium broke loose.

"EHHHHH?!"

There was only chaos.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE WAS YOUR FATHER—"

(Aside, Gokudera's eyes widened. "Holy shit. He did experiments on his own son—")

"Alright, everyone! Stop it now. Leave Muku-chan alone." Tsuna's words successfully regained everyone's attentions, as a few of them stifled their amused chuckles. Meanwhile, 'Muku-chan' twitched.

"Please refrain from calling me that, Zero."

Tsuna smirked. "But why not, Muku-chan? You liked that name just fine when we were younger! Why, you used to make me call you that aaalllllll the time."

"Zero. Stop. Talking."

And Tsuna finally relented, bursting into fitful giggles.

"Alright, alright~" Mukuro only pouted slightly, face turning a pale pink in embarrassment. The murderous aura around Hibari grew as he drew his tonfas protectively.

Unfortunately, Reborn was the one to break the heart-warming moment.

"...What happens next, Tsuna? I doubt that they were very happy with that stunt you pulled."