Chapter 4: Not-So-Stranger

CHAPTER 4: Not-So-Stranger

It's 12:32 when I walk into the lunch room. I head straight to the table where I ALWAYS sit. Lunch sort of is great and sort of sucks. Sucks because; the food is terrible and the tables are split up into the classic, jocks & cheerleaders, geeks & freaks, loners & losers and people like yours truly. (Who, by the way, are the averages.) Great because; you get to talk to your friends for a whole hour about nothing of any real value. So far, at our little table for seven, there was only Jenna.

Just to be clear she is hanging out with us originally because she started dating my good friend Tom but if they broke up she'd still sit here because I happen to like Jenna. "How was your morning?" She asks, by way of greeting. She smiles at me, Jenna is just an incredibley happy person most of the time. She generally seems so warm and comforting, I think it's something in her brown eyes, whatever it is, she has it and not a lot of others do.

"Fine, science with Mr. Hendrick followed by French with Mrs. Kee and then some math with Mr. McNeil. Yours?" I ask, sort of just making conversation, I hadn't been able to concentrate on anything but my dream for more then a minute or two.

"Nothing new, got caught for not paing attention,"

"Which teacher?"

"Third period with Mr. Hendrick," she tucked long dark blond hair that had fallen out of her bun behind her ear.

"Ouch. Did he chew you out?"

"Yeah,"

"Hey guys," Mel says as she drops into the seat next to mine. Sam, drumming her fingers on her knee, sits down next to Jenna.

"Hi," I say

"What's up?" asks Jenna. Sam smiles and says her customary response

"The sky," and Sam smiles a little more despite her response causing Mel to roll her eyes

"You should really stop asking that, Sam's response isn't gonna change," Mel said, but she said it while smiling. Jenna and Sam both started to pull out lunches while Mel and I both got up and headed to the lunch line. As we got into line Mel looked at me and said; "Sam says you were acting weird in science and asked me to ask you why. Why?"

"Are there really no secrets between us?" I asked mockingly

"Of course not," Mel responds, just as mockingly "I kinda am wondering though 'cause you don't space out, you don't really need to tell me,"

"Ok then, I won't," I answer, Mel smiles like a devil.

"Yet,"

"Oh brother,"

"Chris is here?" She asks, back to mocking. I smile and we head back to the table armed with something I hope is edible. When we get back to the table Val and Tom are already there and we go through saying hi again. Lunch goes by normally for a while. Mick, Val's boyfriend comes from in line and then we're talking about something or other. Mick and Tom talk about what I think is sports, while Val and Sam talk about something and Mel and Jenna have a debate that I laugh at. It's a normal lunch for about fifteen minutes. That's when Katie shows up. Katie is co-head cheerleader, one of those teenagers all the adults love and the queen of the school. Katie Daria has big green eyes, long dark hair and very fair skin. On top of that, she's kind of a bitch. This is why all of us stop talking and look up in surprise when Katie randomly sits down in the empty chair between Tom and Sam. Since no one else was talking, possibly because they were awestruck at the thought of Katie talking to us, I decided to, "Um, hi Katie... Can I help you?" Katie looks at me.

"Shut up, I'm here to talk to Mel," She says and points at her, accusingly. Charming, isn't she? Everyone at our table looks at Mel questioningly or raises an eyebrow if they can. (Fun Fact: The ability to raise an eyebrow is genetic.)

"Talk to me about what?" Mel asks. She looks confused.

"You know what you little bitch," Katie answers, venom in her voice. Real nice girl, right?

"Um, no, actually, I don't I'm kinda confused," Mel says. Really confusededly. Katie glares at her, her overly-lip-sticked mouth scowling.

"Apparently you won't admit it! I'll deal with you," Katie responds, obviously really mad. Then she gets up and walks away. As you can see the adults are completely right about what the amazing nice girl she is. And that concludes the normal part of our lunch.

********************************************************************************************

Picture of Jenna --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->