Chapter 10: Confessions

CHAPTER 10: Confessions

Lunch had continued on and conversations had awkwardly continued. I stopped focusing on Val. She got the message and struck up a conversation with who ever was on the other side of her. I lapsed into thought. Sam, why? Where did that anger come from? I can't imagine she was that mad about being called a blond bimbo. She wouldn't have liked it, but it isn't like her to explode.

Sam didn't eat lunch that day. She just sat there, glaring at anyone who looked at her. She was sending off major anger vibes. Everyone at our table tried to have conversations and discreetly sneak glances at her. If she didn't catch you, you were lucky. I never knew how intense a glare could be.

A few minutes before the bell Sam stood up, grabbed her stuff, knocked her chair over and walked out. She didn't say a word but, hey, actions speak louder then words. Judging by the knocked over chair, Sam was fucking mad.

I glanced around at everyone and noticed Val doing the same thing, I shared a look with her, what now? Do we go after her? No, we shouldn't, she's too angry right now. When she calms down. We communicated all that looks and a few facial expressions. That's how well I know my friends.

I looked at Mel and stared at her. It took about four seconds for Mel to turn around and make eye contact. Do you know why? I don't. After school, R & P, we corner her. That conversation took a single look. That's how well I know my best friends.

I took a second glance at everyone. "So, guys, any ideas on Sam?" I asked.

"I was kind of hoping you or Mel would know." Jenna said sheepishly.

"Clearly, Sam needs space and a little bit of time." I shot Mel a look as she said this and raised an eyebrow. When no one was looking she flashed me a devil's smile. Obviously, she wanted to be the first to know.

"I don't know Sam that well, only for a year or two now, but that was really weird for her, right? I've never heard her swear and before today I've never seen her even remotely angry." Mick sounded worried and a little confused, probably because of Sam's behavior but, who wasn't?

"It is weird for her to act like this." I said and sighed. "I just wonder where she went.

"Bathroom." Val said, matter of factly, "To cry." five heads swiveled to face her.

"How do you get to that?" asked Tom.

"Simple," Val began "Sam is a nice girl, never swears, a good girl. Sam used up a lot of energy just to get to the place where the girl who swears and gets angry is. She probably stopped feeling angry sometime at lunch but wouldn't give up the charade then because she's stubborn and it would admit Katie won. Now she's probably sad and angry at herself and feeling a little drained, she'll cry because she feels bad about it, so go to the bathroom. She can clean herself up after and no one will ever know."

Val looked around at us. I had to bite my lip. I had reached the same conclusion probably at the same time but I hadn't wanted to say it. I hated it when Sam or Mel cried. We were all pretty strong but when someone did break it was horrible. I hadn't wanted it to be true so I hadn't said it.

"Wow," said Mel, "I didn't even consider that." Val shrugged.

"It was the only plausible place for her to go, I can't imagine her going t her next class early."

"Huh. Smart." This being Tom I smiled at the obviousness of it. Our table started to file away in singles and pairs as we headed back to whatever class was next. Mel grabbed my arm as I got my stuff together. I nodded and got the last of it together. Then we started walking out.