Chapter 29: Vortex, Blue

CHAPTER 29: Vortex, Blue

At first, all I could do was stare at my leg in a somewhat morbid, fascination, looking at the thing producing from my thigh. It was comical looking. Birds don't stick out of people's legs. I didn't notice that all the other birds were gone. Then I got over the shock and started to scream because I'd felt the pain, and tried to get it off me.

I knew immediately the poison was in my veins, spreading slowly. But that didn't compare with how the actual bird felt. Going in, it was like someone had stabbed me with a particularly sharp knife, and forgotten to take the knife back.

Since I wasn't paying that much attention to anything else, I hadn't noticed Demetri had come up behind me. He put a hand over my mouth to, well, for lack of a better word, shut me up. He put a hand on the bird and unceremoniously yanked. Reflexively, I bit his hand and my eyes started to water from the pain. Just as reflexively, he pulled his hand away when I bit it.

If I thought it hurt going in in, it killed going out, and I started screaming again. I tried not to look down to the hole in my dress where I'm sure I'd find blood-soaked purple fabric. "Shhh! Shh," murmured Demetri, behind me again.

I took a deep breath and tried to swallow my screams. I still wouldn't look at my leg as Demetri swung me up into his arms and cradled me to his chest, a hand under my knees and a hand supporting my shoulders. I caught a glimpse of red fabric and swallowed repeatedly so I wouldn't puke. I concentrated on Demetri's words instead but barely heard him as he tried to soothe me.

The poison was definitely sinking in, moving through my body, via my veins. Next thing I knew, we were in a sterile-looking white room and I don't know exactly how we got there. Demetri put me down on a white operating table. "Faye? Faye, listen to me," Demetri said.

"I-I'm trying." I said, still awake and able to think properly.

"I have to take off the dress," I laughed

"Pervert," he smiled but sadly and I knew he was serious.

"Will you take it off yourself?"

"That doesn't make you any less of a pervert," I retorted, I rucked the dress up until I could see the actual wound, ignoring the bloody fabric as best I could.

Blood all over my leg and more pouring out every second. The skin around the cut was bright blue, the same color as the bird and blood slid right off of it. But nothing was worse then the actual cut. A giant, gaping, hole in my skin, still spewing very red blood at a rather alarming rate. Blue liquid was also coming out but not very much and I knew it was because the poison was traveling through my blood stream.

I fainted at the sight of it all.

No more then a minute later, I was up again, avoiding looking at the hole. I thought I might spew chunks everywhere and I was breathing heavily. Demetri brushed hair back from my forehead. "This isn't going to be pleasant," he said. "scream if you need to," he looked worried and I nodded, trying not to show how terrified I was.

The next few hours were agonizing, worst I've ever spent. I lay on that table, screaming, my back arching sometimes from the pain. I blacked out every once in a while but I still felt the poison, like tar, in my veins as it tried to destroy me, I woke myself back up screaming. Demetri never tried to quiet me. I couldn't take the pain much longer, tears never stopped running down my cheeks, not even when I was unconscious.

_______________________________________________

Finally I came to for good. The tar in my veins was gone, I'd noticed it draining before but there was too much pain earlier to concentrate on it. Now I just felt so weak and drained. I started to sit up but was gently pushed back down. "Lie down," Demetri's voice calmed me, "you lost a lot of blood, too much, I managed to get what I hope is 95% of the poison out of your bloodstream but you still aren't gonna feel great, drink this," he told me, pressing a water bottle to my lips.