Chapter 13: Demetri

CHAPTER 13: Demetri

I left my grandmother's grave quickly after that, walking to the clearing in the forest. I rarely came here alone but I had decided to today.

I watched the sun filtering through the leaves, the shadows dancing at the edge of the wood.

I walked slowly to the center. A red x was painted there, Sam, Mel and I repainted it every year. It marked the centre in case we ever needed to find it.

I stood over the x and pulled a locket out of my bag. It happened to be Alyssa Somnia's. Grandmother's. I held it out in my hand. and started to chant;

"A spirit, a ghost, claim what once was your's, a spirit, a ghost, come back to what once was your's." I continued chanting for a full minute.

Nothing happened, I hadn't really been expecting anything to. I had read that in abook and was curious enough to try.

I looked at the locket in my hand, it was heart-shaped and silver, like it's chain. I tried and failed to open it.

Between one heartbeat and the next I clasped it around my neck. It felt right, sitting there. It sat just below the neckline of my shirt. I pulled my leather jacket closer around me. Despite veing spring, the air was oddly chilled.

I went back to studying the necklace. The locket facinated me. I realized that it had a patteren on it. Intertwined vines bent together to form the shape of a moon.

Half a million phrases and images jumped into my mind.

Full moon, half moon, slim crescent, an empty who where the moon should be, 'We've landed on the moon but never touvhed the stars', the moon eclipsing the sun, 'And they attacked by light of the moon.'

All of a sudden my mind registered I was on the ground.

Out of nowhere I heard a low laugh. Only Sam, Mel and I knew about this place. The laugh had been distinctly male.

My brain processed this as my head whipped around to face the guy who'd laughed. My first thought was, my god he's hot.

Tall and dark. Messy black hair that worked for him. Blue eyes, not quite dark, not really, light, with an iris that was ringed by a darker blue. Definitely good-looking.

"I knew I was amazing, but I didn't think my presence could bring girls to their knees." He said, arrogantly. I didn't even bother trying to hide my eye roll.

"You're not the reason I'm on my knees." I said, standing up and brushing off my pants.

"Really," He said. "I'm almost positive I am."

"Well, you would think that," I said, "wouldn't you?"

"Are you suggesting something?" an amused glint in his eyes.

"Possibly," I said, enjoying myself  a little. Then a thought crossed my mind. "You're a hallucination, aren't you?" he seemed amused by this and laughed again.

"I highly doubt you could imagine someone as handsome and all-around amazing as me."

"I knew it." I said.

"Follow me." He said, turning around, apparently secure in the knowledge I would follow him. I stood where I was.

"I'm sorry sir," I said mimicing a little girl's voice. "But mommy said I'm not allowed to follow strangers. Whether or not they're real." I smirked at him, he seemed to find this amusing. "Besides, why should I follow you? Someone gonna kill me?" as soon as I said the words I knew it was a mistake.

"Actually, yes. Someone is trying to kill you."

"Oh please." I said, resisting the urge to roll my eyes again.

"Please what?" He asked mischeaveously, advancing towards me.

"Can I please have a cookie?" I asked sarcastically, "What do you think I want?"

"Oh, I like you, snarky AND sarcastic." I tried to calm my beating heart. Now he was only standing about a foot and a half away. I could touch him if I wanted to.

"Hm... Still not sure about you," I said "you're knda annoying."

"Have I at least got you convinced I'm real?"

"Nope."

"Aw..." He said faking frustration, I laughed.

"Since you're a figmant of my imagination, can I have your name? I like to label my hallucinations."

"Let me guess," He said supeirorly, "if I don't give you my name you'll just call me 'The Tall, Dark, Handsome, Stranger'."

"You wish." I said, emphasizing the wish.

"Faye." He said.

"What?"

"Faye Diane Somnia, isn't that your name?" He asked, he obviously knew. I tried not to be creeped out.

"Since you know my name, what's yours?" I asked, trying to stay cool, calm and controlled even if I wasn't that way inside.

"Demetrius. Demetrius Cestriae." He said, smiling. "You can call me Demetri."

"Ok then Demetri." I said, smirking. Not knowing where to go from here. Still unsure if he was a hallucination or not.

"Crap." He muttered. "I have to go, you should too."

"Go where?"

"Run, away. He'll find you."

"I'm sure." I said. He rolled his eyes and walked throughthe air, effectively dissapearing. It scared me.

I sank back to my knees.

*****************************************************************************************

Picture of Demetri ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Hey guys! Hope you liked it! I lied, I'll probably update one more time before camp, but maybe not. Comment, vote and keep reading! Thanks so much for reading!!

-Jodi