Chapter 19: Secrets & Half Truths

CHAPTER 19: Secrets & Half Truths

At the end of the day I shut my locker and turned around, intending to go home. Sam and Mel had different plans. When I turned around they were standing on either side of me and both grabbed my arms and basically pulled me to my car. MY car.

Sam grabbed my keys out of the hidden pocket in my backpack where she knew I kept them. She jumped into the driver's seat and Mel got into the passenger's seat, they both ordered me into the back and so I went in.But you should know, the only reason I did get in was because Sam had my keys and, knowing her, she wasn't about to give them back. All of a sudden I thought of something. "Sam, do you have your driver's license?" I asked

"Define 'license'" Sam asked, smiling.

"Mel!" I said, I didn't want Sam to crash my car.

"Faye we'll be fine. Probably." Mel said and she turned around in her seat. "Besides, it's too late to switch now."

"I am unimpressed." I said, crossing my arms from my seat in the back.

"Awesome!" Sam laughed. She turned on the radio and started singing to the radio, Sam sang all the way there, right up until we jumped out of the car and started to head to, you guessed it, the clearing, for the second time today. When we got there we sat, crosslegged in the grass. Sam hummed tunelessly. I glanced at the sky, it was sunny and blue but I could see storm clouds, it would probably rain tonight.

"Ok Faye," Mel said, looking straight at me. Sam quit humming and looked expectantly at me.

"Everything rhyms with Faye, doesn't it?" I asked, procratinating.

"Of course not," Sam said, laughing again. "nothing in that sentence rhymed." Mel looked at us in disbelief as in 'Are we actually having this conversation?'

"Sam, she's avoiding." I rolled my eyes at Mel's words.

"Avoiding what?!" I asked. "What are you talking about?!" Sam looked at Mel and they had a silent conversation. Mel stuck her tongue out, apparently she lost whatever the looks had been about, she always stuck out her tongue if she lost.

"Faye," Mel said, turning towards me with sad eyes. "when did you stop telling us everything? I thought the three of us were best friends till the end." Mel looked so sad in that moment. Sam was biting her lip and looking almost as sad, and a little lost.

Mel's idea. This had been Mel's idea. I was hurt that they'd turned against me like this but I know in their positions I would've done the exact same thing. They had every right to because best friends don't keep secrets from each other, right?

Well, I guess that makes me a bad friend. I couldn't tell them! They'll have trouble believing me and if they think I'm lying they're just going to get mad at me. I couldn't say nothing. Something. Not everything but I need to tell them something that's real. Demetri. Duh. "Fine, I do have a secret." I said. Sam rolled her eyes and smirked

"Really?" She asked sarcastically. "I NEVER would've guessed after knowing you all these years!" I smiled, Sam was ridiculous but she was fun. Mel smiled a bit. She seemed relieved.

"So," I began, trying to figure out what to say and how much to say. "Mel, you were right. There's this guy..."

Basically, I told them about Demetri, I said that he showed up a few times and I had found him, annoying, arrogant, and utterly attractive. I admitted to them what I had refused to admit to myself. I told them that from the minute I met him, I wanted him to kiss me. I blushed as I told them about the kiss. Sam burst out laughing.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned Sam finds unrequited love hilarious, really, she finds all love hilarious. It's weird since her parents are getting divorced. Mel laughed about when I hit him and then kissed him. It was nice to have them know but the guilt of only telling them half truths was starting to eat at me. I told myself it was only because I didn't know either. But when I did know, would I tell them? Of course. I hate lying to myself.

"Why didn't you tell us earlier?" demanded Mel, always suspicious.

"Why do you think?" I asked, laughing. "I was kinda was REALLY EMBARRASSED."

"So," said Sam, plowing on. "when do we get to meet him?

"What? Never!" I said, laughing as I collapsed backwards onto the soft grass. The other two girls lay down too, both laughing. Eventually Sam propped herself up on her elbows,

"It's a valid question." I just laughed harder.

"I told you!" I exclaimed, "NEVER!"

"Faye! You gotta!" said Mel, equally persistent.

"No I don't," I said, propping myself up onto my elbows too. "maybe one day."

"C'mon Faye!" Mel said, "Picture, AT LEAST."

"Maybe." I said. "Have I mentioned that I hate being tag-teamed by you guys?" I fell back again and closed my eyes against the sun.

"Probably, but it doesn't stop us." said Sam, cheerfully.

"Can I go home now?" I asked.

"Right after you drop us off!" Sam said, throwing my keys at me.

"Thanks Sam, real helpful." Sam beamed despite knowing I was being sarcastic.

*******************************************************

Boring chapter but it had to happen. Mel and Sam wouldn't be good friends if they never realized something was up. Comment, vote, keep reading! THANK YOU FOR READING! Next chapter will be more interesting, I swear.

-Jodi