Chapter 7: Conversations To Be Avoided

CHAPTER 7: Conversations To Be Avoided

When I got to school early, the next morning, I was annoyed because my dream was still in front of the window, both of them. I was surprised to see that it wasn't Sam waiting by my locker, but Katie. "Uh, hi Katie," I said, unsure of what else to say.

"Oh, cut the crap, freak," Ooh, an insult already?

"Fine, I'll cut the crap. Why the hell are you standing at my locker, waiting for me and what on earth did Mel do?" I switch right to anger, not a good sign.

"I think you know what she did," said Katie, pointing a rather accusing finger at me, then again she seems to like pointing, doesn't she? "the little slut probably tells you and the blond wannabe everything, doesn't she? I think she does and know you're playing dumb. No use trying to protect her," Oh dear lord.

"Protect her from what? I have no idea what you're talking about, Katie!" This was getting old. When is she planning to quit interrogating me?!

"See! Right there. You're protecting the little slut by asking questions! You so know something! If you tell me what you know I won't make your or the blond wannabe's lives any worse," Katie was clearly trying to make it sound like a great deal. I think she might actually think it's a great deal.

"Katie, did you know I have a name? It's Faye and the 'blond wannabe' happens to be named Samantha, 'the slut' is Mel. Could you use our names?" This only succeded in getting Katie angrier. Wow, after just a few minustes I was already ready to never talk to her again. "Next topic, I know nothing. Second topic, I rather doubt that Sam knows anything either. Third topic, I'm pretty sure Mel is totally lost." I was trying REALLY hard not to scream at her.

"Fine, you won't say anything but I'm warning you now that when It gets confirmed you're going down in flames with slutty," Katie said "besides, I'm positive the bimbo will break, blonds aren't nearly as strong as brunettes," Apparently she won't be using our names and with that, Katie flounced away.

"What is It?" I muttered under my breath as I put in my locker combination.

I was just opening my locker when, speak of the devil, or as Katie says 'the slut', Mel appears. I hadn't had an actual conversation with Mel since yesterday when she looked at me like I was possessed. "Hey," I said.

"You know I've never actually lied to you when it mattered, right?" I looked at her, completely surprised and a little taken aback.

"No time to say hi, I gather." It was the first thing that popped into my mind, probably not the right thing to say.

"You didn't answer," Mel said and she paled, ever so slightly

"Yes, I know you've never lied to me about anything important, where is this going?" I was a little exasperated from my pleasant little chat with Katie. I hoped this wouldn't be going where it seemed it was going.

"What happened yesterday?" It went there. Going for the answer of an idiot I said:

"Well, first off I had science with Mr Hendrick, I don't really know what he was lecturing on but-"

"Faye!" She said, cutting me off. "You know full well what I meant, at lunch, what happened?"

"Have you told anyone?" I asked, avoiding her question.

"Damn it, why won't you answer?! And no, but I will if you don't answer." She looked at me and I saw something a little insane in her eyes. I didn't doubt her, nor did I see how I could possibly avoid the inevitable. Mel did not seem like she would be giving up anytime soon.

"Mel, I fell asleep, that's all,"

"You're lying." I swore in my head. Why must she know me so well? Mel continued, "You did not fall asleep. You blacked out!"

"Seems like you've solved the mystery all ready," I answered, dryly. Yeah, I know, not good at quick responses that are nice.

"Don't do that! You go straight to sarcasm! I want to know what happened!" Maniac much? I thought to myself.

"I blacked out and then I don't know what." I answered, trying to be calm and not sound like a lier.

"Why'd you black out in the first place? Why did you half scream?" Mel asked, deadly calm. She scared me a little like this.

"Why is Katie after you?" I don't know why I said it, it was the wrong thing to say.

"I honestly don't know," She answered and I could tell she was a little angry and sad that I didn't think she would trust me with It. Whatever It is

"I don't know what happened to me either!" Oh, that was such a lie. It's true I don't know why I blacked out, but I know what happened and why I screamed.

"Fine," Mel said, her voice was an ice cube. "Don't tell me." That was how I got Mel mad at me for the first time, basically ever.

*************************************************

Picture of Katie ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Hey guys, comment & vote! Who can guess why Katie is mad at Mel?I doubt it cuz I don't even know! Kidding, I know what's in store for Mel. Thanks for reading!

-JM