Chapter 35: The Truth... Is Out?

CHAPTER 35: The Truth... Is Out?

There is something so different from watching a part of a movie over and over again and then seeing it happen, unstaged, later, knowing exactly what's going to happen but shocked that this time it's real.

Watching Anna run forward was like that. This was where my dream was supposed to end.

This was where I was supposed to wake up.

But it didn't happen because this was real and for some reason it was happening here in real life.

Serquin's grin dropped from his face as Anna charged past the place where the invisible wall had stopped her seconds ago. She was practically glowing with anger and now the blood on her clothing only looked like war paint. Serquin held out his hand but it seemed to have no effect on his daughter. I saw fear flash in Serquin's eyes, he had never expected Anna to become this strong or for anger to fuel her like it did.

A flash of white light flew, seemingly out of nowhere, and hit Anna's cheek, the effect was immediate, blood ran down the sides and she stopped for a moment to take in the impact. Slowly she shook her head and laughed. I was afraid she might've gone off the deep end as she let the blood roll down her face. "Don't you know that doesn't work with me anymore? You tried to kill me by attacking my stomach and that didn't work, you never showed me any love and I will take pleasure in killing you as you so obviously took pleasure in killing the one person who always had my back, as you killed my brother," she said and I no longer thought she may have lost her mind, all this just gave her resolve to fight back harder then ever.

"Insolent pest, you certainly aren't that bright, are you?" Serquin said scornfully. Anna didn't answer, she was too angry, so I did.

"Even insolence can be a virtue at times, unfortunately stupidity rarely is. You have both," I said, some of my own anger flaring up.

"You're lying worthless scum so stay out of this and if you'd heard my words you would've known I'd called her both," Serquin growled at me. Anna had calmed down a little and caught onto my game, managing to jump in before I could.

"If I'm not mistaken, this whole thing is about Faye, I'm pretty darn sure that even you wouldn't waste your time on this if you were so sure she was worthless scum," anger jumped into Serquin's eyes, animating them in a way that made you think he was only ever alive when he was angry.

"You've already forgotten the cause for anger," Serquin had amusement in his voice and was ready to play cat and mouse if that's what it took. Anna's spine went rigid and all at once I thought she might cry but the thought passed quickly.

"Cut to the chase," Anna said, her words were colder and sharper then ice. Serquin went back to grinning, I hated how he stood over us, gloating and knowing but refusing to tell us, preferring to make us ask and chase for the knowledge. When he didn't say anything Jenna decided to take things into her own hands.

"Spit it out, ya old bastard!" I looked at her in amazement. She was normally such a quiet girl. She looked at me and smiled, she didn't have to use words, the intent was clear. Don't let him walk all over you, this is upsetting you. Glancing back at Serquin he was clearly shocked at the outburst.

"Demetri," he said and I could tell that everyone else was just plain confused, even Val looked a little surprised. Anna opened her mouth to say something, probably something rude, but she closed it when Demetri appeared.

I felt instant relief wash through me which was replaced by instant confusion. Demetri had his arms crossed over his chest and was looking at Serquin, mostly with hate.