Chapter 28: Opinions on Love

CHAPTER 28: Opinions on Love

Demetri brought his head up from next to my ear, he was smiling, I was too busy being shocked to notice much. "I don't believe in real love," I said, yup, that's me! Killing the mood.

He looked at me quizzically, trying to see if I was joking or not. He got off me and sat with his back leaning against the wooden headboard. I sat up and leaned against it too. Demetri looked at me expectantly. "Go on," he said, I must of looked pretty confused because he just laughed, "you can't say that and not offer an explanation."

Oh.

"I think love is a great concept," I said, "I just don't think it's a real one, just an over-reaction." I shrugged.

"Why?" Demetri asked, prying.

"Because it is, I dunno!" I exclaimed incredulously.

"You don't think your parents are or, at least were, in love?"

"You don't think yours were?" I shot back, I immediately regretted it and bit my tongue, wondering if he hated me for saying that. Luckily, he just laughed and grabbed my hand.

"My parents, my family, if you can call it that, is basically the exception to everything out there," Dermetri said, looking at a spot on the beige wall. I didn't know what to say. "You don't believe in love in books?"

"Books are fantasy, you can put whatever you want in," I retorted.

"Movies, TV?"

"Same thing,"

"How about motherly love?" I laughed,

"Have you met my mom, scratch that," I said when I saw him open his mouth to say something, "don't you remember why I got my tattoo?" I asked, waving my wrist in front of his face. "She's never home and when she is, she ignores me."

"Stubborn," he remarked.

"Just telling it like it is." I answered.

"So, if you don't believe in love, what do you believe in?"

"More things then last week, that's for sure." we both laughed a little before I continued "I said it before, love is an over-reaction to liking someone, not a real thing."

"You know what I think?" Demetri asked, I turned my face up to his and looked into his blue eyes.

"Probably, but you might as well tell me," one side of his mouth quirked up in a half smile.

"I think you're scared to fall in love," now I was slightly uncomfortable and thinking about running away, Demetri dropped my hand and slung his arm around my shoulders, as if sensing what I was about to do, although, that would prove his point quite nicely.

"Scared? I'm scared alright, but not of love, how can you be scared of something nonexistent?" I said cockily. "I'm most definitely scared, although, what I'm scared of is debatable." Actually, I'm pretty sure it's not. Serquin topping my list.

"What are you honest to god scared of?"

"I don't believe in religion either, only that others can think whatever they want and put their faith where ever the want." I said automatically.

"So shouldn't I be allowed to believe in love if I want to?" he had me there, I wouldn't admit it though. Demetri smirked at me, knowing he was right. "So what are you actually scared of?" he asked, not about to let it drop, now seemed as good a time as any.

"I have one week."

I explained everything about the note and how I found it, the tears that wouldn't come before arrived now and ran down my cheeks. I even admitted to him a few things I hadn't meant to right at the end, like the things I'd never get to do. As I spoke, Demetri's face had hardened and he's pulled me closer, protectively. I roughly pushed the heel of my hand across my face in an attempt to banish the tears. Demetri sighed and his face softened.

"You're gonna bash your face in if you keep doing that," he told me and made me stop so that he could properly wipe them away. I was pretty embarrassed and took a deep breath to calm myself.

"It's three against one, there's no way in hell Serquin is gonna win because Anna and I will both be there and we'll have the element of surprise in more then one way, we're going to win."

"Knock on wood," Demetri obliged by knocking on the headboard we were leaning against.

"I'm going to make you a promise, after we win I'm going to take you to your junior prom you thought you were going to miss."

"It's almost a month away,"

"Are you saying no?" he asked, his eyes sparkled with laughter.

"Nope, you and I are going to junior prom together." And he closed the distance between us, sealing the promise with a kiss.

You know what we forgot? Demetri never knocked on wood a second time.

___________________________________________________

About an hour later, we figured we should probably train because that is what we were originally going to do. "Understand?" Demetri asked me, I nodded. We were going to practice shielding. Demetri would launch birds into the air that I had to deflect. He said they were mildly poisonous, that way, I'd have an element of fear to keep me going.

Personally, I thought this would be great fun.

The joys of sarcasm.

"I was standing with my back to the glass wall of windows and Demetri crossed to the opposite side of the grass and faced me. Without warning, he started launching the birds, one at a time. They were yellow. He started to launch more then one, two at a time, three, four and so on.

By the time I got to five, they were green. Demetri shouted at me that every time they changed color they would get more poisonous. I shrieked at one as it dive-bombed me and managed to shield at the last moment. I could hear Demetri laughing at me, I shot him the finger and he just laughed harder.

"Now the birds were blue and I was fending off seven at a time. I knew I was getting better because not one of them even came close to me. I got bored and started blocking at the last second. They started flying erratically, zig-zagging everywhere. I was fighting hard to keep them at bay, I was starting to feel drained too. I didn't even notice that Demetri had launched an eighth.

That is, until it's beak punctured my thigh.

***************************************************************

You people are just going to have to find out what happens next...

Ok, I was supposed to update this yesterday but my prick of a brother hid my laptop so I'm sorry for the delay, you can blame him.

PLEASE comment, I wanna hear your thoughts, vote, it lets me know you guys like what I'm writing! Keep reading, for obvious reasons, this book is amazing, (kidding) and if you do like it, steer other people towards it!!!! Thanks so much for reading!!!!!!!

Next update: Monday? Maybe Tuesday....

-Jodi