Chapter 38: Alyssa

CHAPTER 38: Alyssa

The fact that I'd been reduced to hitting my head against the wall for fun really says something. There was no point to attempting a mental conversation with Demetri right now, last I checked his thoughts were a long string of seemingly-endless swear words, including a few I hadn't heard but was happy to add to my personal mental list of swear words.

When I was sure I was going to crack my skull open I sat down. My head hurt a lot but that's my fault... And maybe Val's I'd felt the small lump on the back of my head from whatever Val had hit me with.

Strictly speaking, I should be sleeping or planning an escape or something useful but no good ideas came to me and I was kind of scared of what I might dream about. Strangely enough, I wasn't hungry, I hadn't felt hungry in a long time, not since before we were brutally abducted.

Nothing to do.

Boredom may kill me before Serquin does.

The thought made me giggle a little madly and I felt a swell of hysteria in my chest. It was funny, somehow I'd expected Serquin to kill me. He wouldn't keep me as a tap, just drain all at once.

A bit of the prophecy-like dream flashed through my head.

And see the wrists. The bloody wrists of the girls who sealed his fate. One he loved and the other he hated. He sealed their fates and they sealed his.

 I was almost afraid to think about this. I wasn't sure I wanted to know who was who or whether or not this had anything to do with me.

Though the trusted one would not deliver the blow, the killing blow, the death blow, the final blow, the death would be on him.

If this had to do with me in any way, who was the trusted one? Obviously I would know them, right?

But the blood he had was twisted and his fate sealed from the start.

Sealed to what, or... almost afraid to say this, who? How can blood even be twisted in the first place?

For only one with natural blood of the ones who started this could deliver the last blow, the death blow.

I didn't understand who the naturals were. The whole thing upset me and I didn't know why. I didn't want to pick apart the dream but I had anyways. Stupid brain. Stupid Boredom. Stupid, stupid Serquin.

The sound of a key in a lock shook me out of my thoughts but this time the person with the key wasn't Demetri. Quite the contrary, his father.

The fact that Serquin was grinning like the joker immediately made me angry.

And my anger involved me calling Serquin a few... choice words to his face.

"Still angry, I see,"

"Still a bastard, I see," I retorted.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but names can never hurt me,"

"First off, how long has that saying been around? Second off, what are you, five?" He tutted mockingly and I glared at him, my words being my main offense. I noticed that he'd only opened the first door and he was standing in the space in between the two doors. "What, scared I'll hurt you?" I mocked, never getting off the floor where I was seated. He frowned at me and I raised my eyebrows in silent challenge. Sadly, he wasn't petty enough to participate, or maybe he knew I would win anyways just by bugging the crap out of him.

"Faye," he said, looking me up and down, there was something in his eyes I didn't recognize again. Then I realized exactly what it was and my lips tilted up into what I'm sure was a somewhat insane-looking grin of my own.