🔸18🔸

The fact that death was quietly knocking on my door didn't frighten me at all, actually, I wasn't even thinking about it

Who cares about Valentin now, I already accepted the fact that I'll have to die one day. Whether it's here and now or in a couple of years in bed, surrounded by loved ones.

But what really bothered me at the moment, were the sweet words that made my inside turn upside down.

Why didn't he tell me that before?

Maybe he was afraid of my reaction or he thought that my different behavior would reveal him and hurt me because I could be used as a blackmail against him.

The more I think about it, the more confused I am.

"When did you plan to say you love me?" I ignored his visible impatience to leave, like and brief and quick looks that he was giving to unconscious Valentin.

He was ready to jump and catch me at any moment if he moved even a millimeter.

His eyes locked on mine, radiating with dissatisfaction about my question, and then he sighed and looked away.

"Never, but you irritated me so much that I didn't have the other choice." He shrugged, still impatiently waiting for me to finally move, but I'm not going anywhere until I get all answers.

"But I don't understand. If you love me, why do you treat me like this?" I crossed the arms under my breasts, making one step towards him.

He looked at me for a moment and then rolled his eyes.

"How?" His lips curled into a mocking smile.

"Violently, you torture me physically and mentally." I angrily poked him in the chest with my finger.

He sucked in his cheeks and puckered his lips, looking like he was thinking, while he was intensely watching me with his dark and murderous gaze, which already made me die so many times.

"I'm testing you." He cackled.

"Because of what?" I narrowed my eyes and bowed my head to the side, upset because of his childish expression, which made him look like he thinks this was some game, and not a serious situation in which one of us could stay emotionally hurt.

"To see if you deserve my feelings." Honestly, I didn't really expect him to answer, so I was left quite surprised.

"And do I deserve them?" I raised my eyebrow when my heart accelerated its usual rhythm, impatiently expecting his answer.

"And more than you think." He responded briefly, and then grabbed the arm that was pressed against his chest and pulled me in the darkness.

✧ ✧ ✧

My thoughts were still connecting like a puzzle in my head.

While Gabriel was dragging me through the empty rooms, I was repeating his words to myself all the time.