Ch19- home again

-

I step out of the car dragging my suitcase along with me to the front door. My attention turned to a little decoration hanging on the knob. It was a dog that had to be painted by my little sister.

"I named him Pink." My sister, Avery, said touching it.

"What a creative name for a blue and purple dog like him." I raise my brows.

She gets all jumpy when I compliment her. Ha, if only she knew what sarcasm meant.

I open the door and the smell of fresh lemons fill the air. Nothing new.

I automatically walk upstairs towards my room.

"I'm back." I say under my breath. Everything around me was the same just as I left it.
This surprised me because this whole time I was worried that my little sister would go swooping around my room. And maybe even play dress up with all my dresses and heels.
But she didn't.

I jump onto my bed and roll over.

I stare at my ceiling for a while until the name Caden popped into my head.

I reach for my phone and search for his number that I remembered I had saved for later. And that later is now.

Do I call him or do I text him?

"Hey Caden... how's it going?.. You home? Um no--uh. Oh. Did you wanna FaceTime instead?." I practiced out loud.

Never mind. I'll just text...

I went with a simple: hey it's Skylar.

And now I wait.

"Skylar, your friend next door is here to say hi." My mom knocks on my door.

I look at her for a quick second and look back down at the text I sent Caden.

"Yeah I'll be there in a minute." I mumble.

"Okay." She walks away.

I bite my finger as I wait for a response. I suddenly became anxious. And then I smack myself.
He's not gonna respond right away Skylar.

I get up and head downstairs to go say hi to my friend Olivia.

As I walk down the stairs Olivia squeals.

She runs up to me and gives me a hug. I was too startled at her sudden excitement that I didn't even get to react the way I should've. So I just stood there like a stick.

"I haven't seen you in like ten years!!" She squeezes me and I suffocate slowly.

She finally let's go and says, "I missed you so much. You need to tell me all about this camp."

I widen my eyes to see a whole new person in front of me. Olivia's once brown curly hair was now dyed rose gold. And she obviously learned to do makeup over these past weeks.

"Holy crap, who are you." I gasp.

"I don't know. But! I wanna hear about this camp!!! Let's go to my house." She squeals even louder this time.

"Oh my god, okay, fine!"

She yanks my arm and drags me out of my own house. We walk over to hers and she takes me into her kitchen.

"Do you want some tea..as you spill the tea." She opens her fridge.

I kindly decline.

"So I overheard my mom and your mom talking..." She pauses for a long time, "an all boys camp huh?"