Chapter 17

He's at 84% percent now.

It's getting harder to hide the pain. Especially around his family. One time, during a family dinner, he felt a sharp, indescribable pain in his spine. He covered his scream with a groan and when asked if he was all right, he lied and said 'yes.'

What felt worse than the pain was the guilt.

He used to feel nothing when keeping secrets. But now, as time is running out, he feels completely guilty and nothing more.

He needed a distraction.

Wade? Still working probably. Harry and Gwen? They'll ask him how he's feeling. Felicia? Nah, she'll do whatever she can to get him into bed.

Peter found himself sitting on his bed, hoping and hoping for a certain someone to visit him. Then suddenly, he heard a scratch at his window and his window slowly opened.

A black cat with green eyes jumped in and went on Peter's bed. The teen laughed at the cat softly, knowing who he really is.

"Good one, Loki. Your shapeshifting is getting better."

Loki transformed back into his normal form. "Well, it's awfully better than walking down a street where people remember the face of a god who tried to kill them all and take over their city."

"True. Haven't seen you in a while."

"I like to take time to myself. How's your ailment?"

Peter grimaced and Loki got his answer.

"Still haven't told them yet, Spider?" He shook his head. "God, your annoying. I shouldn't be vexed about you lying but here I am. I was lead to believe that family shouldn't keep secrets. I'm no better," the god said, "but you're better than me."

The teen didn't want to here this because this was only the beginning of something worse. This was going to blow up in his face later and he's not ready for the aftermath.

"You're gonna tell them?" Peter asked.

Loki scoffed. "They'll listen to me? They'll attack me before I breathe. And it's not my place to say."

Peter hated it when it got silent between them. It always felt as if Loki wanted to say more.

"I can see it, Peter," Loki warned. "There's darkness within you. And it'll kill you if you don't fight it."

Peter stared at the wall across from him and that's when that voice came back.

You're gonna let him talk to you like that? I expect better from you, Peter. We are better than this! Shut up, shut up, shut up. You can't silence me no matter how hard you try. I am part of you. Who are you? You'll see in no time...

"Spider!" Loki's voice shook him from his thoughts. The god eyed the teen suspiciously and concluded, "It's a symbiote, right? Something is hosting off your body and is communicating with you."

Peter smiled sadly. "Damn, didn't know you was that smart."

"You forget that I'm not human. I know many things," Loki said rather cockily. 

"Do you know what will happen if a symbiote consumes the entire body?"

"You'll have no control. Your heart and soul will turn black. If you try to get rid of it, you'll likely die," Loki replied sadly. He couldn't look at the teen any longer. "Can't believe this."

Peter froze at his heartbreaking confession, "I finally have a family and I'm going to lose him."

The teen felt a tear run down his face and hugged his uncle from the side. He's never hugged Loki before because of his boundary issues. But he didn't care about that right now. He's never felt so close to Loki than he does right now.

Loki refused to cry. Absolutely refuses.

"I'm so scared," Peter sobbed. "I've kept so many things. How I'm Spiderman, how I'm seeing someone they won't approve of, and how I have this thing inside of me."

"You dug your own hole. Thought I can't blame you. They'll do whatever they can to keep you from getting hurt. Even if it means keeping you from doing what you love most."

They stayed in this position for a while. 

Unbeknownst to Peter...

Taskmaster got tired of waiting.