part 42(Truth Unfolded)

Hamed

Daneen looks around the room awkwardly while her mom is staring at her phone which had a picture of Busola, Hasna and Yousif. She's been looking at for the past 10 minutes and hasn't said a word.

"This. But my- my- I thought-",aunty stutters while looking back and forth from her kids to her phone then to Daneen.

"Its okay Nafisat. Why doesn't Daneen help us all by explaining how this is all possible!",mama speaks up with a tone of impatience while looking at Daneen.

Daneen looks confusedly at mama then clears her throat.

"Mama and her husband had an accident. Years ago. She had me but because of some African fortune teller that my dad had done he sent me away to mama's sister who had been taking care of me. After the accident she got a call. Mama lost part of her memory. She couldn't remember anything after giving me away. The doctor said that giving me away must've been a tragic moment of her life which is why am the only one she remembers. Baba died so she married my step baba. Aaman but he is quite controlling. He abuses mama every time and mama is a very gentle person. She just listens to everything he says and takes the beating. I has to do something. I was fed up. I needed money though so I had to do something that I would forever regret for the rest of my life because I know I ruined another man's life but I just wanted mama to be safe so I did it. I-". Daneen sucks in some air and shuts her eyes. Her hands shake a little and stays silent.

My chest tightens as flashbacks of the day suddenly runs through my mind. I feel my hand start to shake and feel
Busola look at me then she holds my hand. I look down at her and she smiles then pats my hand.

"He abuses her?",Yousif raises an eyebrow.

"Yeah. Everyday",Daneen mumbles. I look at aunty who stares down at the floor.

"Why would you stay? All our lives you told me never to let a man do me like that. You inspired me. Mama how can you let some man abuse you.....intentionally?",Busola asks aunty who looks up slowly with tears in her eyes.

"Its hard to leave. All I want is for Daneen to be safe and taken care of. Am a mother. I can take anything for the protection of my baby. And if she's safe and educated and clothed what more could I strive for?",she whispers.

I glance at Daneen ho had tears sliding down her face.

"Why didn't you reach out sooner? We thought she was dead",Hasna looks at Daneen.

"I couldn't. I knew she had y'all but I never could reach out because I never knew y'all. I had to dig up facts, I needed proof, facts, everything. I've been searching for y'all for years after I found out. Its been hard but then I went to the hospital and a friend of mine actually works there. She told me that her mother was one of the nurse that actually helped mama through delivery when she had you Busola. She gave me the name and everything so all I had to do was search you up, the colleges you went to but I only found one but you dropped out so I was stuck with nothing except your name. I was lucky to even find you at the college on your first day. I heard the secretary say your name and I had to ask around before I finally met you",Daneen explains with more tears falling.

"I couldn't be any more happier when I found you",she smiles a little then chuckles happily and wipes her tears.

"You were exactly as I imagined, even better. Your so friendly, nice, loving. You didn't know me but get you cared for me as if I was your own which I am but you didn't know that. You were like mama in EVERY WAY. I knew automatically that I've found the right person. You even looked like her a little bit *chuckles* I was so excited. I loved calling you sister because I've always hoped for a big sis and when I found you I was just. I couldn't be more happier",Daneen confesses looking at Busola who had tears in her eyes also.