-2-

~Persephone~

The campus was huge. When I walked around, it seemed like people knew each other. Debbie had asked me to go out and about with her, which I did. As we were walking, however, she kept stopping and talking to people, and I just stood there.

Debbie was a freshman too, so I wonder how she could have met everyone so soon. Lots of boys would come up to her, and start talking to her. When I ask who they were, she shrugged and said, "I don't know, just met them."

I would just nod. I was starting to get hungry and told Debbie I was going to go ahead and go to the cafeteria for dinner. She waved me off and promised to meet me back at the dorm.

It would be lying if I didn't say it hurt a little bit, but just because she was my roommate doesn't mean that she had to be my BFF on the first day. Besides, I was fine being alone, by myself, just me, myself, and I . . . . Kind of.

The campus all looked the same to me. It was amazing how big and tall and opened everything was, and then the woods and mountains were just right behind it. I guess that's Washington State for you.

Somehow, in the big maze, I found myself on the edge of the school, near the woods. I just stared out into the forest. It was always my favorite place to be growing up, near nature. My mom told me how when I was little, I would talk to flowers.

I always get red when she talks about it, but she loves it.

I don't remember befriending any plants, but it did sound like something I would have done.

Just a little stroll wouldn't hurt me, so I decided to take the chance for a little peace and quiet. I could hear the birds chirping, the wind in the trees. 

I stayed on the path, not wondering too far. At the end of the sidewalk, was a bench.

Sitting down, I closed my eyes and let the wind blow through my hair.

"Lovely evening, isn't it?" a deep voice asked.

I jumped up from the bench, screaming a little. On the bench sat a man, a very handsome one, with bright eyes, dark hair, extremely pale skin. He looked dead in a way, but he was very much alive. He looked just as surprised as I did.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were sitting here," I said, putting my hands up. I didn't even see him from before. 

He gave a sweet smile. "It's okay, you can sit down. I didn't mean to frighten you. I'll get going."

"No, wait, you were here first," I said, feeling back, making him get up.

His eyes wouldn't stop following me. I tried to look away, but every time I looked back, his eyes were still there, glued to me. "You're very sweet. Are you a student here?"

"Yeah, I just moved into the dorms today."

He nodded. "Always love people going to school, to educate themselves. What is your major?"

"Biology," I whispered. Mom told me I needed to make some new friends, so I cleared my throat and gave it a shot. "Um . . . you?"

He gave a deep laugh. "No, sorry, I'm not a student."

"Are you a teacher?" I asked.

"Why do you think that?" he sat back down on the bench, making me the taller one.

"You look old," I said, regretting it as soon as it came out. "Er . . . OldER! I mean, like, you know. .you can teach . . .I'm sorry."

I looked to my feet, trying to plan how to escape. "You are very sweet," he said again. "Very innocent like. Something is odd about you though. Can't put my finger on it."

The Girl that Hades called Persephoneजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें