-40-

She gave me a purple silky dress, one that draped itself on the floor, making me feel like a royal queen. She had picked it from her closet, saying it was an old dress, but should be thankful it still looked wonderful.

After she forced me into this credulous dress, and forced me to sit down in front of a vanity, she took a brush, and started humming as she brushed my hair.

I felt myself getting smaller, trying to get myself to hide from her, from the mother of Demons. I was forced to look all around the house. I thought that possibly, I could escape, but I didn't know where to go from there even if I could get past the guards.

Thinking of a plan, and getting lost in my head, Echidna asked me, "Persephone, did your mother every brush your hair like this?"

"Yes," I said, looking at myself in the mirror. I hated when people brushed my hair, because it was always made to look frizzy.

"Did you like it?"

I didn't, but I wanted to give a positive light on my mother, "Yes."

"Tell me, why do you think your mother never told you about being a goddess?"

I thought about it for a while. "I don't know."

"I'm sure there is a reason. Do you even know what you're a goddess of?"

"No."

"Hmm, sounds like your mother failed you in that sense. Demeter always been an odd goddess. I suppose that's why she went with the humans, to feel better about herself. Don't you think?"

I didn't say anything. I tried to think about happy things, like Hades, and school, and reading. Anything to help me get my mind far from here.

"Persephone, I asked you a question," she said. I could feel the tension getting tighter.

I had to think of something. "I don't think that's why."

"Why do you think?"

"She wanted to give me a better life," I whispered, even trying to believe it myself.

"You think? Growing up like a little normal human? Growing up next to human children, and acting so, so, so human? What is that telling you? That you're no better than a human?"

I didn't want to say anything, I didn't want to give her that power over me.

She stopped brushing my hair, and put her hands on my shoulders. "Look in the mirror. Don't you think someone like you deserves better than humans? Or even Gods? You could be so much more, don't you think? I'm sorry if I seem harsh to you, but I want you to know that you can do so much more. You're so powerful, don't you know that?"

"I am?" I asked, confused. "How do you know?"

"I was a child of a Goddess too . . . long time ago. Before she through me out of her life, never wanting to have anything with me. But, I learned that I was so powerful, so much more powerful than any of those gods that sit up in the sky."

"What about Hades?"

"I thought he would understand, but he is just the same as his brothers and sisters. I don't want you to get hurt. I can give you so much. If you stayed with me, I could help you with your powers, help you control them."

I couldn't help by be at least curious about what she had to offer. "Were you like me? Did you have these pains too?"

"Yes. My mother, just like yours, didn't tell me what they were. I thought I was dying, but it was my powers coming through, helping me shine. That's why I have so many children here with me, so many children I have helped."

"One of your children tried to eat me on a date a few months back."

She stopped. "I am very sorry about that. Sometimes, they escape from here . . . and they do that."

"If I stayed here, would I become a demon too?"

She spun me around, making me see her face to face. She smiled at me. It was hard to believe she was so evil with such a sweet smile. "No, you would become so much more. Hades is going to come here soon, and he's going to try to fight for you and blah blah blah, all that Greek romance crap. But remember, Hades does not love you. He wants to trap you. You can't be a queen. But I can give you so much. Please remember that."

I looked down to the ring on my finger, placing my other hand on top of it. "Hades-s-s does love-e-e me."

I didn't sound as brave as I wanted to, and came out as very scared.

She gave me a pity look. "Sure he does," she said, mocking me. There was a knock on the door, and one of the guards came in.

"My lady, Lord Hades is here."

"Oh goodie, let the show begin," she said, turning to me.