-5-

~Persephone~

"Uh, hi," I said, feeling my cheeks turn warm.

"Did you just get out of class?" he asked.

"Yeah," I lied, not wanting to attempt to explain how I was actually lost, and that it was a miracle I even found my way back. "Would you mind if I went inside to change?"

"Not at all," he said.

I rushed to the building, and turned around, "Wait here."

"I wouldn't wait anywhere else," he joked.

Once I was inside, I was basically running to my dorm. I didn't think he was going to show up early like he did. I brushed my frizzy hair, took my old comfort shirt off, and cursed myself for not having anything other than sweats in my closet.

"Where are you going?" Debbie asked. I was in such a rush, I didn't see her in the corner.

"Oh . . . uh. . . .um," was all I could get out.

"We need to get you a cute bra," she said eyeing my sports bra. I forgot I had no shirt, and turned red, trying to cover myself up. "Who is the guy outside?"

"A friend," I nervous said.

She raised an eyebrow, challenging me. "A date?"

"Not a date," I quickly protest. Too quick, she could see right through me. 

She gave a good laugh. "Just promise me you'll go on this date this Saturday. You don't even have to like the guy, I'm just trying to score with the one guy."

"Yeah . . . I'd go on that date."

She smiled. "So what are you wearing for this date?"

"Not a date," I said again. "Just two people talking."

"Not the way he looks at you," she whispered enough for me to just hear it. I wonder if she was watching us through the window earlier. 

I fished out a nice dressy green shirt and matched it with black leggings and flats. It was mature enough I suppose. I braided my hair, grabbed my purse and was almost out the door.

"Hey, Steffi, here is my phone number. In case he gets weird, okay?" she said, grabbing my phone and putting her number in.

I smiled. Maybe she will be a good roommate and friend this year after all. "Thank you, I'll text you before I head home."

"Don't go crazy, you wild child," she said, closing the door behind me. I rushed out the dorm halls, and out the front door. He was still in the same place I had left him. I felt his eyes all over me, and I wasn't sure of the way I should feel.

"You look magnificent," he said. I was melting. 

Whatever was the brightest shade of red on the color wheel, I knew for a fact I was way passed that shade. I tucked my lose hair behind my ears, and said, looking to my flats, "Thank you."

"Come, lets walk to town. Have you had the chance to look around the city?"

"No. I never lived in a city before, so I'm really excited," I stated as we started walking. He walked on the outside of the sidewalk and having me in. It was a very small thing, but even his manners shine through in the smallest ways.

"Are you excited to learn the city life?"

"I'm not sure. I feel like I'm more connected with nature, you know?"

He nodded, "I suppose we all are, and we keep telling ourselves this way of living is fine. What made you want to study biology? Was it your love of nature?"

"It was something I've always wanted to do since I was a kid. My mom told me I used to talk to flowers as a kid."

He laughed. "I'm sorry, that is adorable."

"It's actually embarrassing," I said turning red. The way he looked at me was actually nice. He didn't like at me like I was a dork, but rather someone that was equal to him. "That's enough of . . . old flower child stories. What do you do?"

"I run. . . um . . .a business," he said, looking for the words to come up with.

"What type?"

"Services."

"Oh, like a restaurant?" I asked.

He laughed. "Kind of, I suppose. It doesn't matter. I don't like to talk about it, it takes a lot of my time. This is actually the first time in a while I have taken time off."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Am I taking all your time?"

"No, I took this time off for you."

My ears went hot. "Oh?"

"Do you like bookshops?"

"Uh? Yes, I do," I said, trying to keep up with the fast change in our conversion. "Is that where we are going?"

"If you wish," he said.

I smiled. "Of course! Lead the way," I told him.