-21-

Some of the best memories I have as a child was when my mother and I would work in the garden. I remember being about 7, and helping her pick some weeds out of their Garden, and keeping up with it.

We used to grow our own food. It was a lot healthier for us and a lot better. But honestly, I didn't care about that, I just really like being around my mom.

Every time I close my eyes I could always picture us together laughing and smiling. I was starting to miss her so much. I suppose when I worked on the garden in the Underworld, it would bring back wonderful memories for me.

"Persephone? What do you think of growing cucumbers this year?" my mother asked me.

"I think that is a great idea. Can we also grow watermelon this year like we did last year?"

"Of course!"

"Hey, Mom?"

"Yes, my sweet little flower?"

"I think the plants talk to me. is that normal?"

"Normal is whatever you define it to be. What do the plant say to you?"

"They are very polite to me."

"Make friends with the environment around you."

"Sometimes they sing to me," I told her thinking about the plants in my room. "At night they sing me lullabies. Sometimes when they do that I get a really bad pain in my chest."

"We will have to keep an eye on that. In the meantime, you should write down some of the songs they sing to you."

So that's what I did, I had written journals and journals of what plants will say to me. When I had gone to my alternative school, the closest thing I had to a real high school, I took the five kids there about the plants and they all thought I was absolutely weird. Luckily, they had just as hippie parents as I did. So, they had to learn how to be kind to someone different.

It was always just me and mom.

Just us.

No one else.

But that was okay. She did a very good job. She never let me starve, never let go without. I started to miss her more and more. This was the longest I had ever been away from her. I thought about her blonde hair, her bright green eyes. The way she carried herself, always confident.

"Persephone?" Hades asked.

I wish I could be more like her.